TIA

Hi my name is Barbara I had a Tia in February and my whole world turned upside down due to anxiety and stress I was on my way to the shops would love to hear if anybody else suffered with stress after a tia

Barbara,  That must have been one heck of a shock to you! Most of us survivors sufferer afterwards with anxiety so don't feel stressed about it. Mind you, that advice is easy to give but not so easy to do! I think the worst part is the fear of anther stroke but only one in ten will get another and since youv'e survived since February the signs look good.

Deigh

Hi Deigh 

Thanks for your reply yes it was a shock but getting help now never suffered with stress and anxiety but hopefully I will get over it and hopefully will get my life back and start going out again 

Barbara

That sounds like a better approach to the problem!

Keep at it.

Deigh

Hi, I had a TIA on Good Friday, sudden total collapse and as I live alone that was quite frightening (I had no idea what was happening to me) but luckily I was able to get help and was taken to A&E ( although the ambulance men first diagnosed labyrinthitis and were going to leave me there until they realised I couldn’t speak).

I have never really known what to expect of recovery. I seem to be mostly OK although I do get very tired and I am getting side effects from the clopidogrel. I feel I should be back to normal now but don’t know. It does seem as if the effects can linger on, but nobody has really discussed this with me.

Regarding stress, I do try to avoid this as much as possible. I was very stressed before the TIA, and reacted more to events than I usually do. I also had a very stiff, painful neck for some weeks before it happened, and cramp in my left leg almost every night, building to several times a night, both of these things stopped as soon as I had the TIA. 

I would say that stress is a major factor and we need to avoid it as much as possible, just as we would avoid anything else that made us ill. 

There is no accounting for the different effects stroke can have on your body. You had a stiff neck and cramp before a TIA. I  had a numb leg before my stroke. Many others had hiccups and others had headaches.

I asked a lot of questions to other survivors to see if there was a common warning sign. Alas, nothing came of it. Over here in New Zealand they are looking at the overweight, smoking couch potatoes, but I don't think that is the answer, that sort of person is going to have a diabetes or a heart attack anyway!

Living alone must be extra tough for you. I have a caregiver second to none and I try not to take advantage of the situation.

At least half of my day is taken up with exercises of one thing or another to try and improve my situation. At the moment the main one is to try to whistle again and even warble the way I could six years ago. I feel that anything I do with the tongue should improve my talking ability. I've just returned from an uncomfortable session with my dentist and his injections have made my speech even more unrecognisable! Never mind, this will pass!

Deigh