TIA 6 months on

I had my TIA in February and have been thinking about my life since. I know I was lucky in my recovery and was sent home the next day, but I did not realise how much it would affect me. I thought I could return to normal life. I did not expect the crippling nausea requiring further medication or the exhaustion which would engulf me so I felt I could not move. I thought I should be able to do simple tasks only to find it was beyond me.Emptying the dishwasher resulted in broken dishes.
There was also the anxiety and unexpected emotional response. Fortunatley nearly 6 months on things are much better. I still struggle with anxiety occasionally, and I am still undergoing tests and trying to resolve medication issues but overall life is returning to what I had before. I have found the accounts of other people on this forum to be both inspiring and encouraging. Thankyou

6 Likes

@GeorL hello I don’t think we’ve share thoughts before .

Really glad to hear that 6 months on you’ve seen real improvements and life is beginning to be less distracted by the event of February.

What you’ve described is common to many of us. Also common, to many is that the recovery journey after 6 months has some differences to the recovery journey in the first 6 months.

I truly hope you’re out of the tough times, if you get reoccurrencies don’t be overly alarmed but recognise that that too could be part of a typical recovery journey.

From what I have read, and crudely summarising the first 6 months is dominated as far as the body is concerned with housekeeping to get rid of dead tissue, oedema, and other processes. Life after maybe affected by compensations, including altered brain patterns, neuroplasticity, etc which is hypothesized to be accompanied by different chemical patterns

Also I think there’s broken plates from the dishwasher a healthy. At least if they occurred because you were attempting to do things on the liminal edge of your capabilities. Personally I see the biggest enemy has learnt non-use. It’s seductive powerful in the immediate short term and truly debilitating over the long term .

Great to hear that you’re feeling much better I’m sure it will give all who read it confirmation or hope about their journeys too

Ciao

2 Likes

Thankyou what you say resonates with my thoughts of these first 6 months and my body’s recovery

3 Likes

@GeorL glad to hear you’re making good progress now. I think we are all surprised by how much we are affected initially; especially by the fatigue.

You may find fatigue will creep up at times but here’s hoping you are through the worst.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Thankyou for your kind wishes

@GeorL I had an ischaemic stroke in February and struggled with the emotional effects day and daily. Today is not particularly a good day with headaches and balance issues so I came on to the forum tonight to talk to people who understand. I like yourself, find great inspiration and comfort visiting the forum. I have found when days are challenging I need to just down tools and rest. The brain really does call the shots in this predicament, it takes a while I find for us to adjust to take longer to do things and most important pace ourselves. It can be a lonely business being so vulnerable but thankfully we have this forum, which is great. Sometimes all you need is an ear. Best wishes

Having some down time is very sensible if the day has contained wobbles & headaches

How your feelings better soon
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Wise words. Sometimes I need to accept I can not go back to how things were before and have to accept ,what is for me, this new normal

1 Like