Three years plus

hi Joy 

thanks for the reply 

things are changing again workwise and I am hoping to get a bit more time and pay! I was restructured to a part time position and lost 60%of my income. I am much more able now to do the more difficult stuff, so two and a bit years on, I find I have more mental capacity for the work challenges than I did even a few months ago. I am still quite physically impaired. no left hand function at all and weak left leg making walking difficult but not impossible. I have no speech and language problems though which I am thankful for. we moved location and the new workplace doesn't work well for my role  Access to work have arranged a new work place assessment for me. previously they set me up at home so I could work remotely. so managed to get started. it has been really hard. but we needed the income!!

things do improve though, and as you say, very slowly. I know in spite of my mobility issues that I am much more with it than I was even recently andd can better deal with some of the more complex issues that come my way. 

glad to hear that you got back to things. what do you do? I d be interested to hear more about the challenges you had and what you did to meet them.

I still get episodes of fatigue which are debilitating and very difficult to explain to those who don't experience it. I am finding ways to manage it and recently I have had a respite from it which has been lovely. 

great to hear from you. 

best wishes 

Tony 

hi there 

My stroke was just over two years ago and like you I was active and loved walking. I had just completed the Cleveland Way with my son, a week before I had the stroke. and went from the challenge of 110miles to being unable to walk at all. I was in hospital for 10 weeks but physio therPists got me on my feet and walking in a way after four weeks. yes I remember the quad stick and being pleased to graduate to a tripod stick. now I use a single point stick, which I don't mind. for me it is my left side that does not work well. similarly I have no function in my hand and had terrible pain in my shoulder because the muscles were so weak there was a kind of dislocation: subluxation. I did the armexercises systematically and after a few months it solved the pain issue. it continues to be ok. I am impressed by your mile. I am still struggling with walking  my ankle won't work well andI have foot drop. I cant gat any flexion at the knee so my limp is problematic  I did read somewhere that the best way to relearn walking is to walk. I have an FES Device that helps active the ankle to lift my foot. I walk whenever I can an I am determined to recover it. my goal is to get back out in the country though I do not fool myself into thinking I can tackle the Yorkshire hills any time soon, or even ever. but I am not far from the South Downs. I can manage easy walking and want to build up to that. it is going to take a long time. it was something that I loved and I lost it, and really miss it.

thanks for sharing your experience. that gave me a little spur to keep on with the exercises and set some  new goals. 

many thanks 

enjoy the outdoors 

we have a bit more summer coming I believe. 

Tony 

Thank you for your reply, walking is something I miss a lot. I use a stick and like you it is a big improvement from a quad stick. I too have foot drop and use a saebo device which  brings the foot up a bit (look it up on the Internet). I can now walk, as I said, about a mile on the flat so that is really nice.

Every day seems a challenge and tomorrow I am flying to Spain which is a big deal now as it is the first time I have done this since the stroke. 

I say try to walk a bit further every day  or time yourself for a time and then try hard to extend that time. Good luck you will manage to get outside in the fresh air. 

Cheers 

best wishes for the Spain trip. I imagine that will be a big milestone. thanks for the tips. I am working in various ways on retraining myself to walk. it comes and goes. some days it feels easier than others. where I can in the house I walk without any aids. not well but helps relearn balance and weight bearing on my weak side. I stay close to the wall so not exactly without aids, but it gets me to practice in a more real way, so I tell myself.

with best wishes 

Tony 

I am always amazed at the tenacity and courage of the SS on this site - you are all inspirational.  Keep up the good work and I wish you success - you certainly deserve it.  I always look forward to hearing of your progress xx