This is all new

Hi, my wife had what I would consider a mild left side stroke in July. I say 'mild' because compared to some people, I think we

have been very lucky in that she is mobile and still has considerable use of her left side without any speech issues etc.

She still has some after effects from the stroke, fatigue, slighly weaker left side, and is forgetting to turn off taps, close cupboard/fridge doors.

As the subject says, this is all new to us, but it feels like she has just been abandoned by the hospital. I read on here about people having therapy and other treatments to start their recovery,but we gave been offered nothing like that.

Her Right carotid artery is fully blocked. Her left is 80% + blocked.  The vascular surgeons are saying that they could operate on the left artery, but this could cause a right side stroke. They are also saying there is no point in operating on the right carotid artery as the damage has already been done.

I Accept that recovery from the stroke will take time, but I am not a professessional, so I dont know the best course of action to effect the best recovery. But in the back of my mind is also the fact that the left artery could become blocked and cause another stroke.

I guess I am just worried about my wife, and I am feeling very many emotions each day. 

Is there anyone here that has had similar experiences?

Hi there. I noticed no one has yet replied to you, so here goes. Clearly, the blocked arteries are a problem and you must take notice of what doctors say. Fatigue, however, is something I can comment on since it is still with me two years later. Mine hits every day at noon, but has eased with time. I am now down to a hour’s rest. Your wife must listen to her body and rest accordingly. Fatigue also limits what I can do in a day, so two or three activities are enough.

My memory improved quickly once I got home, but I can still forget little things I once did as a matter of course. I find exercise essential and go to classes fir active seniors. These always end with seated Tai and that has really helped stabilise my weak arm and hand.

do you have a local stroke support group or a Life After Stroke Centre near by. These provide activities and support for carers and survivors. You could also phone the Stroke Assiciation helpline to see what other support is available. My partner got good support in the early days from a local carers support group.

Hi 

I am so sorry to hear about your wife. You say your wife's stroke was in July - it is still very early days and she will continue to recover, and this can be for month's or even years.

If you feel your wife has been abandoned and that she would benefit from some therapy, then the best route to get this now would be for you both to visit her GP. They can refer to the therapy most suited to her needs, whether that be physiotherapy, perhaps a referral to a memory clinic etc. I am not medically trained so unable to say which would be the best for her, but therapy will definitely be of benefit to her.

As has been mentioned by John, there are stroke groups around the country whereby you can both go along (if there is one in your area) and seek support from other people affected by stroke, but also your wife could take part in classes to aid her recovery.

You can search for a group in your area by clicking on the following link and searching by your postcode or town - https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support/support-services

Alternatively, you can contact the Stroke Helpline who can search for you, but also provide further information on what help and support is out there for both you and your wife. Their number is 0303 3033 100.

I hope this helps.

Take care

Vicki