Talking , struggle , fatigue

Like , many on here , always looking for little ways of avoiding more fatigue. The process of talking is one. Tried in my own simple way to annalise this more. People think it is my poor hearing, but no . I believe poss my brain trying to process what has been heard & then harder , processing a reply , is soo tiring.
Find subtitles on tv , great benefit.

I find it easier to write down, what I wish to say . This I feel gives me more time & easier for me to process . I also now write endless notes, for myself. Mainly due to finding it easier to preplan everything.
Would be interested in others opinions.
David.

6 Likes

Hi David, I totally agree about the slow processing thing. I actually had pretty poor hearing before my stroke but it has been exasperated by the post stroke processing issue and tinitus that also appeared after stroke. I’m with you on the subtitles, they certainly help me and cause less frustration. I’ve actually got an NHS hearing test on Tuesday next week to see if hearing aids will make life easier for me (& others that I keep asking to repeat everything). I’m sure it will go someway to help the situation.

At least I don’t need to ask you to speak up on this forum :rofl:.

Interesting topic, will see what others say.
Mark

5 Likes

@David3 i too can find talking tiring. Sometimes I just want to sit and say nothing. In fact sometimes it’s necessary.

We use the subtitles on the TV but that’s for my hubby who is hard of hearing. I have the opposite problem & can hear too much.

I’ve also found work meetings (via teams) exhausting too. I had to sleep for 1 1/2 hrs after one yesterday.

4 Likes

I know there is an app that will turn text into speech,
There must be one that creates text from speech.
Perhaps it would slow down the conversation but with someone sympathetic that wouldn’t need to be a huge hurdle.

3 Likes

Subtitles are of no benefit for me, and not because of eyesight issues. Subtitles are too quick for me to read. You see sub-vocalisation, or silent speech is basically the same for as vocalisation/speaking out loud. Thinking isn’t a problem, making up stories in my head isn’t a problem, but with reading to myself I can still stammer and stutter in my head and I skip words and sentences. In the beginning I’d be lucky to make it half way through a paragraph. I basically can’t read anything quickly or in a hurry, it all just scrambles itself so subtitles are out for me. I have to study it word for word for it to sink in. A lot better at it now but still very much a work in progress.

Writing down my own thoughts or even on here, I’ve absolutely no problem with. But, on the keyboard, my right hand’s bit of brain is still not quite in cinque with my left hand’s bit of brain yet. My right hand tends to skip letters or words, clicks the mouse whenever it feels like it, I’ve even seen it type out a small word I hadn’t even thought to write…is it trying to send me a message I wonder :thinking: :laughing: Yet another work in progress.

Yes we do have to process and then construct a reply and then shorten that reply so you’re not tripping over your tongue when you say it out loud.

And notes are very useful…if you can write. In the beginning, when I could have done with them the most, writing wasn’t possible. Once that was mastered notes were a godsend, now I’m trying not to rely on them so much. I want to be able to get back to when I could write out a shopping, forget to take it with me and still remember all that was on that list…last week I was only 2 items short…and was with the list in my hand:laughing: :roll_eyes:

@Ingo66 I bet you’ve find hearing aids a god send like I did, wouldn’t be without them now :smile:

3 Likes

Talking was always tiring
Turned out that I did have mild hearing loss and have since had a pair of hearing aids which have helped. I think in the early days there was some cognitive difficulty mostly slow processing speed. Thats what the psychologist told me. It made conversation very tiring and sometimes upsetting because I would miss things or misunderstand things and I couldn’t get my jokes in like i used to be able to do. Probably a relief to my family. Over time it improved I am easier with it now. I also had some initial difficulty with producing my voice. I had some voice therapy which helped snd mostly it is fine now though I don’t have the kind of flexibility I used to have, but at least it isn’t so effortful to speak. It was harder in the early days, ie first 2 years. Im 7 years in now, and don’t get so wiped out after talking or listening. Voice has improved, concentration and processing speed has improved . Just keep doing it. Other things haven’t changed: still have no function in left hand and walking is difficult. But communication is much better and my jokes even get a laugh occasionally :rofl:
Have fun
TONY

5 Likes

Hi @David3. This makes sense for me. If I have the option of messaging/email compared to a phone call I’ll always take it now.
To be able to consider, process, revise is very helpful. I forget things when trying to speak/think on the hoof. It is a very fine line to becoming overwhelmed with information, memory is worse when I feel stressed, from a starting point of below where I was prestroke.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy talking but it has to be in a stress free setting. Not always possible, and it is necessary to have difficult conversations, but I get the point you were making.
I too make endless lists-everyday starts with one, so I can plan in a controlled setting where I have time to think.
Wishing you continued thought out strategies to manage this frustrating aspect post stroke.
Julia x

4 Likes

When I’m texting I never struggle to find the word I’m looking for,but when I speak it’s like the words just disappear from my head and I have to search for them( or wave my hands about hoping this makes people understand)

4 Likes

I totally understand how you feel. I write myself notes and I’m lucky to have friends that are willing to wait and listen to me when I get stuck in the middle of a conversation. I also have subtitles on the tv and it helps me massively. I’m never going to get used to the totally debilitating fatigue that literally sends me to bed, sometimes for days at a time. I tell myself that I’m alive and I’m grateful for that and if this is the price I pay for that then I can live with it even though there are times when I’m seriously overwhelmed and feel like I can’t keep going anymore. Thank god for my amazing husband and our grandchildren.

5 Likes

totally agree about subtitles ; they might as well be speaking a foreign language

1 Like

Hi Mark , nhs hearing aids , believe shortly, will providing rechargeable ones , I am waiting for this. I have battery one’s, not good for me , fiddly changing & dropping batteries. Good talking David.

1 Like

Sleep, rest , yes , don’t know why, best for me in bed , not sitting in a chair. :grin: . Good speaking David.

Thanks Bobbi .
David.

Notes good, nhs hearing aids , struggle & drop batteries, waiting for rechargeable version, hopefully. Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi Tony, good to chat again. Waiting for your review on powered wheel chair. Compared to my scooter. Do you feel stable in it ,I tipped over twice , on inclines, ok putting in car , I have been up road on scooter, on my own. Only slow pavement version , Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi Julia, yes learnt early on , emails only, no telephone, if possible. Time to process & recheck is good. Talking, stress, fatigue, effects me massively. Planning everything, really helps. Good speaking David.

2 Likes

Hi Linda, Fatigue, for me , becoming accustomed, regular for me each day . Not like you , almost hit by it for days . My wife, is my rock & grand children, love seeing them, ( manage poss 1 hour, though. ) Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi Pando , Subtitles great, also surprised by difference in sound quality of speech, on small & better larger tv . Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi David
Ive been using the wheelchair for a year now so I can give you a review:
It is a deVilbis Airfold.
Im really pleased with it
It is very light, I think 17 kilos with battery. Battery will go all day depending on speed setting
I had to buy a cushion as the seat without can get a bit hard after a while.
It is very stable I have not had any accidents. It doesn’t like steep ramps 60% is max. It has li8 stabiliser wheels to prevent tipping backwards I haven’t tested their limits! The stabilisers are a bit tricky to set but my companios are adept at it now.
It doesn’t have suspension so you do feel the bumps outdoors
The front wheels are castor type so are not under power so you have to watch out for paths with a steep camber as it tends to drift.
On level ground and indoor areas it is brilliant and very manoeuvreable.if i get in a tight spot I get my companion to move me manually.
I am not confident going out alone with it yet. But if you’re driving you probably would be able to handle it ok. For a car it works brilliantly it folds up very neatly about the size of a small suitcase and is pretty light so easy to get into the boot Ive used it in taxis without difficulty. I can’t handle it myself I don’t have the strength or balance.
But once I am in it it gives me a great deal of flexibility.
All in all Id recommend it.
Im considering a scooter for later on if I need to be totally independent ie without companion Im not sure I need that yet. I don’t drive any more. Thats another story. I don’t really miss it.
What type of scooter do you have?
All the best
Tony

Hi Tony , wheelchair seems good, for you, I am pleased . Sorry didn’t explain very well. Like you can not drive . Again also don’t miss it . Spoilt, by wife driving me , max I can manage as passenger is half an hour.
Scooter is a Luggie , tried others, seemed best for us . Slow , pavement Scooter. My wife manages to slide it into car boot, no dismantling , quiet heavy though. With Luggie must get newer & more expensive version, with WIDER APART WHEELS , at front. Previously had second hand older version, very unstable. Also had cheap rollator , also upgraded to Acre .
Buy cheap, buy twice, :rofl: . Originally thought all this disabled stuff, was going to be temporary, ho . ho .
Feel, rollator , I use where you would use wheelchair. Only short distances. Scooters, like many purchases, do not believe all the hype & long guarantees. Nice to hear from you David.

1 Like