Swallowing

Fully agree, it's mega embarrassing sometimes - for yourself and others.  Cannot be helped!  Hear that all the time 'Are you alright?'  I always am, it just sounds worse than it actually is! I have tried to eat and drink slower, but to no avail.  Thankfully, I can enjoy a meal out and don't cough often.  Perhaps once, if at all?  (Lunch out tomorrow, ironically) Agree, it's weaker muscles post stroke.  Indeed, another invisible challenge................Best of luck to you, and all of us!

Hello Space Cadet,

I'm fortunate that my swallowing did return completely to normal as the years unfolded. I had no swallow immediately after the stroke and lost a quarter of my bodyweight while I was NIL by Mouth.

It seems odd that yours should worsen and I sincerely hope it is not a sign of another condition. My poor swallow led to double pneumonia that nearly killed me - I think it is a serious enough issue that you should ask for a medical opinion about it, if you don't mind my suggesting it.

Take care now,

Damian

Thanks Damian

Actually, had my stroke in 1993, and my swallowing has been the same since then.  I feel totally fine, and it doesn't seem to be an issue when I'm out for a meal etc.

Jeez, you've had it tough too!  Wow.  Will mention it next time I see the doctor.  Ironically, am healthier now, than before I collapsed.  Was always ill, though it was petty little things, nothing serious.  Until THE COLLAPSE eek!

Poor you, and good luck to you/all of us!  Peace Carolesmiley