Sudden tiredness

Hi Sarah
Hope you feel better today. My mum had a stroke in April and she gets tired and dizzy - some days better than others. Stay strong and fight the good fight​:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

@Robby1 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mums stroke. Hope she is doing ok on her recovery journey. Hope you’re OK & looking after yourself too.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah
How is your sleep generally? I find if I do too much I get very tired, so I have a sit down and relax day or a couple of hours rest

1 Like

Hi @Robby1
Thanks for your message. Sorry to hear your Mum has had a stroke and hope she is making a good recovery.
Also hope you are doing well.
All the best,
Sarah

Hello @chris67
It’s a bit variable to be honest. Not been great at all recently I think due to the worry of having the stroke.
I’m learning to try not to over do things.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.
All the best,
Sarah

Hello Sarah
if your sleep is sporadic, I would suggest asking your gp to refer you for a sleep study, it could be you have mild sleep apnoea or even mild insomnia . both are common for stroke survivors, but not mentioned enough. my sleep consultant is seeing a rise in stroke survivors having sleep apnoea. worth a shot, better than more medications to help sleep.

1 Like

I had so many days when I’d do a tiny thing & then be wiped out & that included having a shower. The lethargy can hit you so hard. Moods & sleep can be so variable afterwards & I took anti-depressants for quite some time afterwards to help with this. You need to be kind to yourself & give your body/brain time to accept what has happened & to adjust, which is what I found the hardest. Good luck.

3 Likes

Hi @Blodwyn
I agree that trying to accept what has happened is so hard.
I can now see I had a very stressful 6 months or so before the stroke and that most likely has been the cause of it as they can’t offer me any other…I suspect my blood pressure has been much higher than it usually is and that is what has caused the blood vessel to pop but guess I will never really know.
Take care,
Sarah

Concentrate and celebrate what you can do, rather than what you can’t.
Listen to your body and do what it’s telling you.
Accept that every day is a new and different day.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Very wise words @Jacqui_Bartonj
Thank you!!
Sarah

Thanks Sarah - I have to type 20 letters apparently and do not know what else to say!xxx

2 Likes

Fatguie us one of the hardest things to manage. My stroke team taught me to not do too much. That easy to say hard to do but if you push yourself too it makes things worse. Have a look online to see the best way to handle stroke fatguie. It’s not like just being tried y brain as been damaged and it needs to make new links to do some I’d the tasks ur did before it is a long journey with kind regards des

1 Like

Post-stroke fatigue is something that we will all recognise.
I had my stroke over 12 years ago and it was ( and still is occasionally ) something that just happens.
A half hour nap and I feel refreshed.
Just learn to accept that life has changed and that feeling tired sometimes is part of your post-stroke life.
In my case it has improved over time and I might go weeks before I get a bout.
Good luck on your journey.
Tony

2 Likes