Struggling to eat after stroke, here is a suggestion

Hi all,
As you may know my wife has had 3 strokes in the last 6 months and had been struggling with eating, mostly through lack of appetite rather than it being a physical issue. Care staff were concerned and would constantly say to me, “she’s not eating enough”. But I have found a product that is working really well, it’s called ‘yFood’ and they call it a ‘healthy complete meal’ in a bottle, it’s a protein shake, but they are really tasty, my wife loves the chocolate version, but there is I think 5 different flavours, they are packed with 26 vitamins, minerals, proteins and fibre, all in a lovely flavoured drink. The people who make it said they wanted a product that is an alternative to a solid meal, which is healthy and is also very tasty. If like my wife, you may have lost interest in food for whatever reason, these are great, they’re easy to consume, and you’re getting a whole load of nutrients etc in every bottle. For me they have been a real help and have reduced a lot of stress as I know she is getting some good nutrients during the day. There are similar products on the market, I know Holland and Barrett make their own. Anyway, hope that helps anyone struggling with their eating and are looking for an easy, tasty option etc.
Cheers.
Mike.

2 Likes

@mikeyoung, good solution. Hopefully now, the taste of the shakes will lead onto other food interests. When I had Covid, I drank flavoured milk and ate apples like they were going out of fashion. Having no appetite is a miserable space to be in, I have just started to revive mine.

2 Likes

Hi Loraine,
Yeah I’m doing fine thank you, things are getting easier for sure, my wife is currently in rehab and making good progress, like you say little steps… it’s been quite a journey so far.

I am hopefully looking after myself ok, I do get out for walks to get some fresh air etc, which helps a lot, the dark days of her stroke certainly seem to be behind us now (touch wood) and life is getting into some sort of routine. She will be coming home at the start of September so there is a bit of anxiety about that, but I will have plenty of support.
Thanks for asking though, it means a lot :slight_smile:
Cheers.
Mike.

1 Like

Hi Rups,
Yeah exactly, I think when she comes home from rehab, we can work together on her appetite and diet etc, being in a strange place with strange food etc doesn’t help… Interesting about your Covid experience though, it has had strange effects on the body from what I have read.

1 Like

@mikeyoung good to hear that things are improving for your wife and in turn that dhoulf help ease your worries a bit too. Thank you for sharing about the shakes. I might look into them as my appetite hasn’t returned post stroke & I’m still losing weight. Really hope that now your wife is getting more nutrients that she will start to make good progress & you’ll have her home soon.
Take care x

1 Like

Hi Mike

I buy Dunns River nourishment drinks, where would i find ‘yfood’
Also does anyone know bwst place to buy liquidised meals?
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Yeah, you can go online at - https://uk.yfood.eu or they sell them at Holland and Barrett.
Cheers.
Mike.

Mike,

Any ideas on places to buy fully liquidised meals
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Yeah I wasn’t aware of such products to be honest, that’s why I was so pleased to find the ‘yfood’ products, they sell them as ‘This is food’… they’re the closest thing I found to liquidised food. The other option is to liqudise or puree food yourself, I found this book on Amazon, Amazon.co.uk which gives you a lot or recipies etc…

2 Likes

Mike Thanks

:grinning: i’m to lazy to self puree lol

Lushy

Thing is i have one but don’t quite feel up to it at mo
Stephen

Yeah I know what you mean, pureed food is a bit of a faf and never looks very apetising, good luck with your search… try the health food shops, good place to start :slight_smile:

2 Likes