Stroke at 25

Hello, 

I’m Jo, I am 25 years old and had a stroke on Tuesday at work. I’m feeling humbled and lucky for the support and care I received by the first aiders at work and the brilliant care at hospital ?

I’m now back home but scared of what the future will hold and if it will happen again - it’s been really helpful reading through the forums and hearing about everyone’s story 

Hi Jo, that must have been a real shock to you and no wonder you are scared.  I was when I had mine earlier this year but that does get less as time goes by.  It is a big shock for your brain to deal with too so you have to be a little patient with it and give it time to heal. The good thing about brains is they start working trying to build new 'pathways' to replace any that might have got damaged.  You will find people on here very helpful as they do understand the feeling.  Hopefully you will have follow up from the hospital when they can discuss your stroke?  I had an MRI scan followed by a consultant appointment a few weeks after mine.

Dear Jo

The NHS do seem to come up trumps when the chips are down.

To be blunt, you are at risk for about four weeks. So you need to take things as easy as possible and rest. Even rest for many many hours each day.

If you were anything worse than low risk they would not release you from hospital.

You will have been given tablets to thin your blood, keep your BP sensible and then anything else the medics are concerned about. You will then be advised to moderate booze, to keep a sensible diet, to exercise but above all not to smoke. So when all this is in place and settled then you are far less of a risk of another stroke than most people.

Your age will work to help your recovery. Strokes can get us at any age, but the youngsters are stronger for the recovery.

The future is whatever you make of it. Probably you will not take up where you left off. Recovery is typically 6 to 12 months but many of us its years. Now that I have accepted I am not the old Colin then life is OK. Its even quite novel as I do totally different work and have different friends.

No two strokes are the same, but many of us share some of the same problems. The stroke association leaflets are good, when you are ready to read them.

Come back and ask anything. Many of us are here for you.

Drink loads of water. Be mentally positive and smile a lot

Colin

Hi Jo, one thing I have learnt caring for my dad who has had two now. Stay fighting and listen to your body!!! If you need 40 winks have 40 winks. If you fancy a night out have one!! Life is for living and your body will tell you when it needs to take it easy. Talk to your love ones, share this site with them I have found it helpfully and somewhere to off load. Take care xxx

Hi jo

how are you doing?

I’m Victoria and am 37, I had a stroke last December. If it helps any, I think things get easier as time goes on, it’s a rollercoaster though. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body, crazy to even have to think that was I know but looking for those signals to rest, take it easy etc really help in the long run.

victoria 

Hello Jo

welcome to this forum. I am new here myself and have found it very helpful and supportive so far!

How are you doing now? I had my stroke 9 weeks ago now at the age of 40 so still very new in The recovery process. One thing I would like to say - it’s OK to feel however you are feeling. That is something I have learned!

please feel free to drop me a message if you would like. 

M

Hi jo, just no you are not alone. Im 37 and had my stroke in 2017 and i still find it extremaly hard at times. It changes every thing and people who have never had a stroke havnt got a clue. I have found this site really helpfull and it is good to talke to people who have been there. Wer all here if you need to talk. Ayisha. 

Hi jo, just no you are not alone. Im 37 and had my stroke in 2017 and i still find it extremaly hard at times. It changes every thing and people who have never had a stroke havnt got a clue. I have found this site really helpfull and it is good to talke to people who have been there. Wer all here if you need to talk. Ayisha. 

Hello? thanks for your message - it’s good to know you’re not alone !

Yes I have some heart scans and a stroke clinic in 6 weeks to hopefully discuss some test results as to what caused the blood clot in my brain 

Thanks Colin, your message has really helped - I’m taking things slowly and starting to feel a little less anxious as I know I have been extremely lucky ?

Thanks Karen, great idea to share the site with my family ?

Thanks Victoria ? I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all but lucky that I have a good support network around me 

Hello ? thank you for your message  I’m doing ok just feeling tired and little anxious- how are you?

Thanks Ayesha ?

Anytime you want info then ask. Many of us are here for you. You are not alone.

Colin