Stroke at 24 years old

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that by posting this, I may be able to find people who are in or have been in, a similar situation to me.

I had a stroke 5 weeks ago due to a bleed on my brain. At the time I was unaware that I'd had a stroke as I didn't have any symptoms that 'most people' normally associate with a stroke. I had the worst head pains I've ever experienced and some loss of vision in my right eye. The pressure in my head felt unreal and I was being sick for 2 and a half days. After speaking to various GPs I went to the opticians 2 weeks later and that's where I finally got some answers. After being admitted to hospital, MRI scans showed that I had an AVM that had caused the bleed. I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago to remove the AVM by a craniotomy.

I'm still in recovery (at home) and I feel tired all the time and incredibly emotional. My family have been amazing but I'd really like to have some contact with people who know what it's like. My peripheral vision in my right eye still hasn't come back and although I know I'm incredibly lucky to not have any loss of movement etc, I'm finding it frustrating to adjust. 

I know it's still early days and everyone keeps telling me to not be so hard on myself. I was just wondering if there are others out there who had an AVM removed or had a stroke at a young age and would be willing to share their experience. It would be nice to hear some positives from people further along in their journey after a stroke.

Lauren 

HI lauren

So sorry to hear about your stroke at such a young age. Its such a shock to your system. Im not young but an oldie at 77 but wanted to wishyou well in the future and to think positive. Its a long process but with the right meds and a positive attitude you will recover. Every person is different and whatever age you have it it is so debilitating and unfortunately very fit people have strokes too. Get advice and help from the stroke association and make sure you have full support from your gp. There is lots of advice and help on the stroke forum. You have come this far on your recovery so keep thinking this way and I hope people that have had similar strokes at such a young age will help. I hope you have a good supportive family. Courage Lauren and you will recover! Best wishes. Rita

HI lauren

So sorry to hear about your stroke at such a young age. Its such a shock to your system. Im not young but an oldie at 77 but wanted to wishyou well in the future and to think positive. Its a long process but with the right meds and a positive attitude you will recover. Every person is different and whatever age you have it it is so debilitating and unfortunately very fit people have strokes too. Get advice and help from the stroke association and make sure you have full support from your gp. There is lots of advice and help on the stroke forum. You have come this far on your recovery so keep thinking this way and I hope people that have had similar strokes at such a young age will help. I hope you have a good supportive family. Courage Lauren and you will recover! Best wishes. Rita

Hi Rita,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm starting to feel stronger every day and the more I get out the better I feel. My vision still isn't right but I'm learning to cope. I hope you are well and thank you again.

Lauren

Hi Lauren, welcome to the forum, You may find this charity  useful as a young stroke  survivor.

www.differentstrokes.co.uk

They are a UK charity  providing  a unique  service  to younger stroke  survivors.    

Take care

Regards Sue 

Hi Sue,

I shall take a look into this.

Thank you!

Hi Lauren, hope this is helpful.  I  would strongly  recommend  attending  a support  group, if you can find one in your area. I attend one local to us in Kent and have found it to be very helpful. It definitely  helps to speak to other  stroke  survivors. Unfortunately  due to the Covid situation, meetings  have been cancelled  since March. 

Good luck

Regards  Sue 

Hi Susan,

I have looked into the groups but unfortunately due to loss of vision and my operation, I'm unable to drive at the moment. The Kent group would probably be nearest to me but even then, I would struggle to get there now. It's a real shame. I have looked into joining their Facebook group though. It really helps to see others stories with their strokes. I'm just hoping I can find some more people to talk to, even if that's over social media!

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it,

Lauren 

If your inability to drive is long-term you should be able to get a bus pass. Alternatively you may be able to claim PIP which would help with the cost of taxis.

Hi Lauren

I thought that my wifes stroke (last Sun) at 54 was young - so please accept my sympathies for your situation

It is all new to me and everyone I speak to at the moment tells me time is a healer

I wish you all the luck 

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham,

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and I wish her all the best with her recovery. I hope you are okay too, I've seen how hard it can be for family members to deal with.

Thank you. I have definitely seen that time is a healer. Some days are good and others I have a wobble but I'll get there.

All the best,

Lauren

Hi Lauren

I like to think I am a strong person - but this horrible condition tests that resolve to the limit

My wife and I will manage our way through it

Best regards

Graham

I hope that you both get the support that you need. 

Keep being strong, things will get better even if it's small steps!

Lauren 

Hi Lauren

Many thanks for your kind words - day at a time and small steps

Best Regards

Graham

1 Like

Hi Lauren,

I was older than you at 43 when I had my ischemic stroke ten years ago.

I was half-paralysed, running my own business and had four children. I had lost a quarter of my vision and was repeatedly told nothing could be done.

Wind forward ten years and the business has long since been wound up. The children have grown into teenagers and adults now. Most of the paralysis has gone and I do half-marathons now.

Visually, the experts were all wrong. It has simply improved from going about my normal everyday life and getting out working . My last test showed I had 93% vision. I am still not driving again after the DVLA  very quickly took my licence off me (long story).

I was told that time, patience and nature are the three great healers. I am not fully recovered but having a stroke at a younger age does give you the chance of a better recovery, if you work at it.

Recovering emotionally and cognitively does take time but I am more resilient now than I was before my stroke. Antidepressants made a big difference for me but I am on a fairly low dosage.

I was in hospital with a 16 year old boy who had suffered a stroke and had a brilliant recovery. You have many good years ahead of you. It is a shock falling into the new world of medical treatments  but you and your brain are more capable than you ever imagined.

Take care now,

Damian

1 Like

Hi Damian,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so glad to hear how far you have come with your recovery and hope you continue to improve! 

I am definitely starting to feel more positive and I hope I contiue to make progress with my recovery. 

Take care,

Lauren

1 Like

Hi Lauren, how are you getting on? I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage in April last year, I have a blind spot in the peripheral vision of my right eye ,it was very frustrating to start with but am used to it now. Good luck with your recovery

Katy x

Hi Katy,

I feel I'm coping a lot better now just battling the fatigue, thank you. All being well I'll be going back to work soon! A phased return but I can't wait to feel a little normal again. 

Do you feel that any of your vision has come back?  Do you suffer from any other side effects still?

Hope you're well,

Lauren x 

Hi Lauren,

That's good to hear that you are able to get back to work. I'm still fighting with the DVLA to get my driving licence back so unfortunately, lost my job as I couldn't give a return date and my work isn't on a bus route. I've had two eye tests done for the DVLA to make a decision and now they're asking me to go for a driving assessment so am hopeful that I will be able to drive again. I am aware of the blind spot I don't believe it will improve , I turn my head just that little bit further to see but who knows what might happen. 

Hi Katy, I'd bet that you'd be considerably safer than some drivers who habitually endanger others by their careless driving.  I saw someone pull out in front of a fast-moving ambulance yesterday, how ever they didn't manage to see or hear them I'll never know, but I was aware of other drivers having the same reaction as me ... we all gasped so hard it looked like we'd swallowed a melon!! I'm sure you would be far more careful and considerate because you know it's such a privilege to be able to drive.  I SO hope you will soon be back in the driving seat, so sorry to hear about your job and hope that something will come up soon. 

Take good care xx