Stroke and new diagnosis

I had an ischemic stroke in September 2022. This was after feeling extremely fatigued for several months before hand and having post-Covid syndrome. The scans following thrombolysis of the stroke revealed enlarged nodules in my lungs and lymph glands. I’ve now, after extensive investigations to rule out cancer, finally been diagnosed with pulmonary sarcoidosis. Whilst the debilitating symptoms of my stroke have now largely gone or can be managed, I’m still coming to terms with the persistent cough, breathlessness and sudden overwhelming fatigue I now have. I know the fatigue can still be from the stroke but it’s also a key feature of sarcoidosis (for those who have symptoms from it). Sarcoidosis is a relatively rare, inflammatory disorder that can affect any area of the body, but most commonly affects the lungs. As understanding of this condition is still in its infancy, most GPs’, nurses other medical professionals know little about it. I’m learning to view each new day as a positive. I’m unlikely to ever be able to do all of the activities I could pre-stroke but I’m still here and now know what I’m dealing with from all three conditions. I listened to the audiobook of Jill Bolte-Taylor’s personal experience of haemorrhagic stroke and found it invaluable for gaining a positive perspective on everything. A friend told me about period pants (who knew?) and I’m now more confident in social situations where I now suffer from occasional stress-incontinence. This isn’t life as I expected it to be, but I’m grateful to be here at all.

2 Likes

@Midge58 wow you’ve sure had a difficult journey but great to hear your positivity & that you’re making the best of your life as it is. I am reading Jill Bolte-Taylors book currently (i can only read in small doses these days). I too have found it, so far, to be a positive book.
Wishing you all the best.

Ann

1 Like

Midge- It is often easier to focus on what I’ve lost from my stroke than on what I’ve gained. But so much had been gained. In many ways the stroke was a blessing. The world shifted --for me. I see things differently now. The world is more beautiful. People are more precious. Nothing --not one second can be taken for granted. I have become more aware of the needs and suffering of others, and I try very hard to bring as much joy to others as I can. This last endeavor has helped me keep my mind off myself and what has physically changed. :heartbeat:Jeanne

2 Likes

Those are wonderful sentiments. @axnr911
2nd time this week I’ve “heard” someone express them
An example for all of us to aspire too and maybe one to know is possible, helpful and that there is a calming/ settling ‘place’ to be found when things are looking bleak for other folk.
I’m sure that ones outlook/ attitude helps or hinders all the other aspects of gaining abilities.
I’ve a problem with the language of the medics who talk about REcovery or REhabilitation.
Might work after a broken bone or pneumonia but after brain cells die it’s about gaining new path ways and some times new outlooks

Thanx 4 sharing :grin:

1 Like