Stroke affected legs

Hello friends. A year ago I had four strokes. One in left cerebellum. I have had great walking difficulties since. I get aching and legs feel heavy. I also have bad balance. The consultant said it was all because of where I stroked. As the months have gone on I never improve even with walking as much as I can to keep legs moving. This is exhausting and I find myself on the bed resting a lot. Has anyone else who stroked in cerebellum had these after effects I find a quad stick helps with walking.thank you. Love judy. 

Judy, All I can say is don't lose hope or give up. I know it is exhausting recovering from a stroke.  My stroke was 2 years ago and I am still exhausted all the time. My legs feel heavy too. I walk every day and do odds and ends around the house.  But I need to rest a good part of the time.  My friend told me it took her 4 years to feel herself again. A brain injury takes a long time to heal, so be patient with yourself.  Keep moving, and do what you can.  Rest when you need to.  Then don't worry about it. Trust your body to heal.  Love Jeanne

Thank you jeanne. Your post cheered me up no end. It is such trauma to have to live with. I just hope for more strength in my silly legs. I also had a stroke in the occipital lobe taking away some of the sight in left eye I bump into things and it affects my already problem with balance. Thank you again. I shall keep smiling. Love judyx

Glad I cheered you up judyx.  We survivors need to communicate with each other more.  We'll find our experiences are all a little different, yet in so many ways are the same.  My friend really made me feel better when she said  she finally felt like herself after 4 years.  I don't care if it takes a while.  Just knowing we get better and better through the years is encouraging.  Love, Jeanne

Hello again Jeanne. I am still thinking about your words yesterday and feel very bright this morning. I told my son. He lives in texas. Heartbreaking for me. He comes over to me twice a year. He was thrilled with your post as well. Does the humidity give you more aches and pains. Takes me a while when I get up. Dressing is hard work. Where did you stroke. I had 4 strokes. 1 in the cerebellum. I in the occipital causing a partial loss of sight and lacunas.i am studying the brain and strokes. Very interesting. Love for now judyxx

Hi Judy-- Yes, the humidty really takes its toll on me too-the heat also.  I feel very fortunate to have a/c in the house.  Since August I have pretty much stayed inside because of it.   My stroke was in my brain stem.  I think the cerebellum is in the same general area, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty slow to get going in the mornings since the stroke.  Then I perk up a little as we go for our walkk (which we do very early). Then I am tired from the walk.  And so it goes.  But I keep a journal, and when I look back I can see that I am really very much better.  Sometimes it feels like I'm not improving, but  I know that's because I'm right in the middle of it and keep comparing to myself  to me before the stroke.  That's not fair to my body.  It's really doing a great job, considering all the healing that has to happen with an important part of it.  Take care, Jeanne

Hello Jeanne. The brain stem comes from the cerebellum. I have been studying the brain and what part does what. I have books papers and charts on the brain. I find it fascinating. I can't make this fatigue out. For a couple of days I have felt pretty good now this morning I am exhausted tho I sleep well. Just want to rest on my bed. I find that I recover if I lay on my side with my head on small pillow. We have so much recovering to do. Take care love judyx

Hi Jean / ceribellum, same as my stroke, 1year ago . Not much improvement weak left side, can have extreme pain shoulder & arm especially at night. Fatigue just knocks me out , back to bed each day . Decided to get second hand mobility scooter, (Luggie ,poss this week )put this of for too long, I will wait to see ! Good to speak. 

DAVID . 

Fatigue is a bummer, isn't it?  Seems to be a very common symptom-I guess it's because every little thing takes so much more energy to do it than before.  I've mentioned this before in my posts, but it might be that CBD oil drops could help you with some of the pain.  I don't know.  You can probably find my mention of it elsewhere. Let me know how the scooter works out.   Don't run anybody over! Best wishes, Jeanne

Maybe  your brain just needs you to rest so it can heal double-time. Keep your spirits up.  Love, Jeanne

I am joining in the discussion even though my stroke is different to yours judy but it affects me in similar ways. Mine affects my head and eyes but I always feel bad for about two hours when I get up.I cant explain what it is but I only enjoy sitting down. I do little jobs and then have to rest some days I am very tired all day others I am not so bad. I suppose it will get better but it has been three years since I had my stroke so my patience is running thin. Norma.

Hello Norma. My head is always the same. Very dizzy and tight. I have tinnitus which makes things worse. My tiredness is with me all the time. I can sleep as soon as I lay down any time. I don't have any energy at all. I just do chores and see to the animals and rest again. I am sorry about your eyes. I lost partial sight in the left eye in second stroke that I had with a migraine. Your eyes are precious. I have damage in the cerebellum that controls Co ordination and my walking is so difficult. It has been a year now and hardly any better. Love judyx

Hi Jean ,yes my wife did get me cbd oil 3 months ago ? First nothing ,2nd increased dose probably too much ! Felt terrible head spinning etc ,therefore decided not again, shame ,as you would know expensive. All the best David. 

I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you.  I used 20mg. drops and then if it didn't work after waiting 1/2-1 hour I took another 20 mg. This was at night, so it usually helped me get to sleep as well.  It could be the dosing, but I'm no expert in that.  I know there are dosing charts on line.  But you know your own body and what feels good or not.   Hope you feel better soon.  Love, Jeanne

Hallo Judy so sorry you have had such a hard time. You are very courageuous by the sound of it. Balance is always difficult.I am 7 months on from a right sided stroke and do the balance exercises each morning of utub generation exercises it does help. I do find the walking hard your legs do feel heavy. I try to walk without stick but have to give in to it eventually and you are always tired after. Take each day as it comes and realise that this is the new you and things will get better. Some days are good some not. Just rest as much as you can. I hope things improve for you. Best wishes. Rita

Hallo Judy so sorry you have had such a hard time. You are very courageuous by the sound of it. Balance is always difficult.I am 7 months on from a right sided stroke and do the balance exercises each morning of utub generation exercises it does help. I do find the walking hard your legs do feel heavy. I try to walk without stick but have to give in to it eventually and you are always tired after. Take each day as it comes and realise that this is the new you and things will get better. Some days are good some not. Just rest as much as you can. I hope things improve for you. Best wishes. Rita

Hello Rita. Thanks for your reply. I tried all the. Exercises they made me worse. I have osteoarthritis in the sacral lumbar spine from a past fracture. I also have to be careful what I do with heart disease. I stroked in the cerabelem which governs balance and walking. I am 78 so I am no marathon runner. Lol take care love judy

Try sitting in chair and doing hand and arm exercises slowly Judy it's a start can do the little leg ones too. Try the red exercises on stroke forum red is for people who have very limited move e ment. I hope you feel better soon Judy. Best wishes Rita

Hello Rita. Thank you for your advice. I have so much pain in the legs I have to go to bed at 5pm.i try to walk slowly round the home but it is hard work. The consultant said damage is possible because I fell on the cerebellum when I stroked. That lobe is responsible for balance and Co ordination. I was on the floor for twelve hours before neighbour found me. I couldn't move. I haven't made much progress in the year. Take care. Love judy

Hi cerebellum stroke, same as me ,over year ago . Similar to you , I am bit disheartened with not much improvement. Balance & mobility main problem, walking stick or scooter. Up in morning ,back to bed lunch for 2 or 3 hours daily,  then sleep well at night ! Sometimes manage to potter in garage, but then knocked out . Sometimes wonder if will improve , aged 62 . Don't really miss being in a world, where I almost felt had to impress people with things ! Bit of joke really,  thinking back . All the best David.