Stroke advice for a daddys girl

Hi Everyone 

Thank you for your time. I honestly have no idea what to say my dad has a very mild stroke in December and recovered quickly and then on Saturday he suffered a large bleed on the left hand side of his brain.

He has weekness in his right side and not much movement in his right arm. He has no swallow reflex and can't communicate. I can't cope at the minute and I am possibly hoping for time frames of previous people's experiences and maybe some support information. 

Thank you very much x

Hi Jayne, I had a bleed stroke two years ago. At first I could swallow and talk, but had left side weakness and could not walk or use my left arm and hand. Two years later, I walk with a stick and can use the left arm and hand reasonably well. Please remember the arm and hand have a slower recovery time than the leg, because they have complex functions.

Please find out what support is available to dad, both whilst he is in hospital and afterwards. Encourage him to do what he can. I found physio in hospital essential. Unfortunately, most of us get post stroke fatigue, so dad may sleep a lot at first. I still have post stroke fatigue two years later, but it is manageable.

Finally, a friend of mine’s sister had a massive bleed about four months ago and could not talk, swallow or walk. She is now back home, able to talk and eat, although still having mobility problems. The brain’s capacity to improve is amazing, but needs a strong will to help it along.

Hi Jayne, 

I'm so sorry to hear about your father's stroke. As you know, everyone's recovery after stroke is different and please know it is extremely early days in your father's recovery. 

If it would help to talk things through, you are welcome to call the Stroke Helpline. You can call them if you want to know more about stroke and its effects, what happens after a stroke, and what help and support is available in your area. You might simply want someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8.00am to 6.00pm and Saturday from 10.00am to 1.00pm. The helpline number is 0303 30 33 100.

You may also want to look at the 'local support' pages to see if there is a Stroke Association service in your area. 

There is lots of information in the communication pages about how to support your conversations with your father, and he should also receive speech and language therapy in the hospital.

Do keep talking to this community, and reach out for support when you need it.

Best wishes, Catherine 

Hi, my beloved daddy had a stroke 12 years ago which turned my world upside down. I am so sorry it has happened to you and your father, it feels so unfair. My feelings moved between sadness and anger, and a need to 'fix' things. It does take time, and I've got to know a slightly different (and totally amazing) dad. Life is different now for sure.

I think therapy and support is much better now. My dad still has aphasia, but we've worked out a way to communicate really well, it just takes more time and patience. His movement hasn't returned in his right arm, but he's worked out ways to cope incredibly well with his left arm and can manage independently. He has weakness in his right leg, and dropfoot, but he's aware of what he can and can't do, and we plan our trips. 

Basically, don't give up hope and TRY and stay strong and positive (easier said than done). Your dad is lucky to have you by his side and your love and motivation will help him so much. Keep in touch, Catherine

Hi my name is j I had a brain stem infarct .which has effected my right side, I found touch unbearable at fist almost like it hurt when touched sensations were extreem I found stimulating this are with touch helped me even tho it felt painfulI .i still have weakness now but I'm not crawling on the floor any more ,so I feel this helped me loads.