Strange or odd things you miss

Hi all
What odd things did stroke affect that you miss?

My wife and I have played Cribbage all our years but is a two handed activity to hold a hand, to deal etc so I can’t do it (yet :slight_smile: )

What have you gained or lost that’s worth a comment ?

I can finely cut vegetables at speed now, whereas before stroke I could only slice hesitant chunks.

2 Likes

I miss having a bath ! Just showers for me now and can’t blow dry my own hair … hubby getting better at it now :joy::joy: I was writing a book b4 my stroke and while in hospital thought I’d never be able to finish it but I’m getting there now and it makes me v happy.

2 Likes

As @christine2 i also miss a bath. Showers only for me. I miss being able to wear proper shoes…trainers all the way for now. But the one thing I really like is that I have taken up writing poetry since my stroke. I’m no Pam Ayers but it makes me happy :blush:

2 Likes

I really miss being able wear lovely shoes and slippers. I’ve got boxes of great shoes in our loft that I can’t bring myself to throw away but know I will never be able to wear. Trainers or boots for me since my stroke 6 years ago

1 Like

Hi Christine I’m with you on this one. Really enjoyed a bath before my stroke and used to moan about doing my hair but I’d give anything to do my own hair now. My husband has also improved his hairdressing skills. I’m lucky my daughter is a hairdresser so he doesn’t have to do my hair very often.

Regards Sue

1 Like

I miss my independence. I’m a very - or was - a very independent person but I am now reliant on my wonderful husband to take me anywhere I want to go, cook for me, do the washing etc etc. Ok so things should improve as everyone keeps telling me but I darent look into the future too much

1 Like

Simon–While still in the hospital after my stroke, left side completely paralyzed, my husband bought me a card holder. The weeks in the hospital were so boring, but the fact that we could play cards really helped. They can be ordered on line. There are ones that enable all the cards to be held in one hand–also ones that hold the cards in a sort of rack that sits on the table in front of you, leaving you hand free for other things. Get one :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Jeanne

2 Likes

Have i understood your are better at them than pre-stroke?
If so great :slight_smile:
Is that because of lots of pt/ot practice?

Coo gotta investigate that :smiley_cat::smiley_cat:
Thnx

Interesting the things that are the subtle consequences like baths and shoes
I’ve a couple of very nice pairs of church’s ill probable never wear again
However I’ve always showered.
Tried a bath once since stroke . Other than that rthe last time I had a bath was probably a decade or more ago.
I use my daily shower and particular hair and arm pit as my ‘stretch target’ for capability.
In 2 years I’ve got my arm from a high point of hand by navel to now behind my head and to my arm pit but with no strength to hold soap yet BUT it’s coming.
This sort of daily ‘need’ I find much more do able than rote exercises - I really struggle to be consistent with those unless I have to diary then to some one like in research

Hi, sounds like you’re doing really well with your arm. I’ve got very little movement in my left hand and arm following my stroke 6 years ago.

I do lots of stretching and different exercises and also do functional exercises, which as you say, seem more useful. I practice lifting my hand up and down whilst I’m waiting for the kettle to boil and do the same as I sit down.

Keep up the good work, sounds you’re doing really well.

Regards Sue

1 Like

Hi
Sounds like we’ve similar regimes.
Arm is doing ok till the wrist :frowning:
Light switches, door handle and banister are three functional tasks I’m equal to given time
Phone keyboard and cups or cutlery are beyond the current boundary and I’ve not managed to extend much into every day hand tasks yet. Carrying the fire wood basket is marginally possible

Onward and upward at each our own pace :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bore da, it feels like a nugatory event when I mention it to others, but for me it was a startling change. It wasn’t from practice, at first I put it down to years of watching Masterchef and my brain compensating with that pathway. It’s to do with my vision, I think. So, I gained a skill after stroke I never had before.

You beat me to it Jeanne @axnr911! I have a pair of wooden ones with 3 slots in. They are really good but it is still quite an effort.

1 Like

i miss being a workaholic and running around for my 4 kids and dawnies 4 kids youngest being 27 lol cant o the garden like i used to just about manage to look after ruthy and harry my pair of discus fish just had to find ways to change there water a more easy way when dawns not home bless her on reflection i think since the strokes and suffering mobility and sight problems just over a year ago i am still better off than most

2 Likes

Hello.thought i’d chip in with this…i have lost the ability to hold something/anything in my hand and and use it at the same time for example changing batteries in a watch or clock or putting a screw in something etc if i hold the batteries and the item in one hand and a screwdriver in the other i don’t work, i have to lay everything out in front of me and pick them up one at a time. Also cant tie anything properly laces,dress belts etc,it seems as though i do them in the opposite direction now,totally weird but i do like velcro​:exploding_head::ok_hand:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry Rups, don’t know if you meant that to be funny but it just reminded me of when I used to brush my teeth after my stroke…who needs an electric tooth brush when you’ve got a stroke arm :laughing: I was sure I’d be toothless before I ever got that arm back under control :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Well, if you see me walking down a gentle slope, I appear to be rappelling down Mount Snowdon. It must look hellish funny to others. :woozy_face:

1 Like