Still struggling after T I A

Hi, new to the forum,
This may seem really trivial but 2 and a half months after several tia episodes I am still finding it hard to adjust.
I was a heavy smoker and drinker when they happened, but I have JUST managed to stay off the cigarettes since, mainly due to nicotine patches.
Although what happened to me is nowhere near as bad as what has happened to a lot of people, I feel I was not really given a lot of information.
I seem to feel tired all the time, my legs ache.
I seem to be clumsier than I used to be.
I feel that I really have to think about what I am going to say before I actually say it…
It feels as though I am a lot more emotional than I used to be?

I’ve got used to taking my meds etc, but my blood pressure is still on the high side and subsequently my tablets for that have been increased.
As I say, I do realise that I am lucky I was given a warning, but I am struggling mentally.
Before it happened I stupidly thought I was invincible, I am 51 years old.
I am still drinking (not as much) but feel that I wasn’t really given a lot of information when I was discharged ( still waiting for follow up appointment)
Any tips or advice would be much appreciated, sorry about the long winded post.
Take care
Mark

@MarkB1 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are struggling following your TIAs. A TIA is a big event & it takes a lot of getting used to the fact that it happened. It’s normal to feel emotional & fatigue is a common symptom amongst people who have strokes/ TIAs.
It’s very early days in your recovery yet. Sounds like you’ve made some positive adjustments with your smoking & drinking. These are big things on their own never mind after a TIA.
This forum is a great place to reach out for advice & support. The Stroke Association also have loads of publications you can look at on a whole variety of topics.

Good luck with your recovery journey.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Hi Mark. Firstly, all your experiences are common to most of us and some may continue for a long while. For example, my clumsiness is still with me and irritates me beyond. Weirdly, it’s my good hand that can do ridiculous things or drop things in almost inconceivable places. Probably because I’m no long two handed.

Changes in lifestyle have to be made, but, importantly, you have to accept your tias and live with outcome whilst always trying to improve. We always miss our old lives, but there’s no point in longing for things that now can’t be done. You have to take pleasure in what you can do and appreciate taking each day as it comes. Try to focus on the things that still give you pleasure, but don’t attempt to do things you know are unrealistic.

1 Like

Mark, I think we all felt invincible until something went awry. That’s human nature. You’ll probably tire more easily for quite some time and feel “clumsier”. Over a period of time, things improve, but you may not be aware of it, since the brain heals slowly. One day you’ll realize, “I’m feeling better today.” I felt bad a first that I had lost that feeling of “invincibility”, but I came to realize that it was really a blessing. I don’t take life, or my body, or people for granted as I used to. You’re on the right track, doing what needs to be done to prevent further problems: controlling BP, stopping smoking, cutting down the alcohol. Add to that some positive stuff, like drink plenty of water, eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, get plenty of rest, limit junk food and stress, exercise or walk regularly. You know, all those things we know we were always supposed to do. :slightly_smiling_face: And know that you’re not alone. So many of us have faced similar situations. We’re here whenever you have a question. P.S. ONE IMPORTANT THING I forgot to mention. Laugh a lot. I always watched a funny show on TV so I went to bed with a smile on my face. Laughter really does heal. Hope this helps.

:slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes