Steptoe

One of my recent efforts, working today on the gentle art of stick making. This one I am calling Steptoe, would suit an owner with fingerless gloves. Crafted from blackthorn.

5 Likes

blackthorn aka sloe?

1 Like

Aye, had one die and couldn’t let such lovely wood miss out on a regeneration.

1 Like

@Rups great work there. Definitely looks like a Steptoe to me :grin:

2 Likes

Yes you can’t beat blackthorn have an old one 60 years old , solid and lovely feel to it. When chum heard I’d been zapped carved me one from a bit of yew I’d given him years before. Used both for while when wobbly and still take them for walk now and again

3 Likes

What, pink ferrules for girls and blue ferrules for boys? :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I don’t make many knobkerries, I’m hooked on crooks, so to speak. Blackthorn does indeed make a rugged cane, I first started making sticks, many moons ago, to tackle the laurel invasion of our woods, not much of a carver but do work with bone a bit.

1 Like

Blackthorn has the side benefit of the fruits

I planted 12 bare root bushes couple years ago. Didn’t all take but there are some that will fruit in a few years! The won’tbe good for canes for decades though!

Pink ferules sound like a thing!

2 Likes

Aye, this is true, my partner makes sloe gin, and I have even made a rather severe sloe wine.

1 Like

Flipping blackthorn, at weekend helped the village litter pick. Saw a white sheet discarded in hedgerow

2 Likes

Turned out to be horticultural fleece, had a tug of war ripping fleece to bits wearing marigolds but got pricked.But come autumn will be picking sloes and looking out for. thumb stick

3 Likes

You want (or don’t want) to try Sea BuckThorn!

2 Likes

I don’t often make knobkerries but @Pds inspired me to make one this week out of ornamental cherry wood. I’m going to call it Green Thumb after Paul. :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a Nice stick…

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @SimonInEdinburgh, I worked a little too vigorously on the dermis in a few wee spots but have patched it up with trusty PVA.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
I want one :grin:

I’ve always loved those type of sticks. Don’t need a walking stick but do have a modern metal tripod hikers stick now since my stroke, helps steady me getting down steep inclines :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I use a stick for my upper limb rehab but not for walking.

I’ve a 3’ 3/4" stick that came from a pirate flag on a visit to Legoland which I use for wrist exercises by holding in the middle or at one end.
I’ve also got a copiced hazel staff that’s 6 ft long and 1 and 1/2" round I don’t really use that cuz it a bit heavy and clumsy but it has very pleasing bark where I’ve sanded off the roughness and knots
:smile:

2 Likes

Good on you Simon, was asked as youth,
“Whens the best time to cut a walking or thumb stick ?” When you see it boy !

3 Likes