Statins

Hi just a couple of questions about statins. I think @Rups has read up on this.

I used to take simvastatin but it didn’t agree with me, I was put onto atorvastatin I was fine for a few months when pains increased. I have taken them for a year up until now. I thought it was after effects of stroke or the spinal lumbar and cervical stenosis. Anyway, I have been off them as an experiment for 6 days and I got out of bed today feeling much better. (Including I had my left hand carpel tunnel operation on Sunday).

So the questions are has anyone else switched to a different statin due to limb pains and what strength?

Is anyone taking rosuvastatin is it better than other statins, do we have to take statins? I know it comes with the parcel of medication they give us after a stroke.

Thanking you all in anticipation Loraine. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Shwmae Loraine, isn’t this fresh weather delicious. I have direct experience with this. I was on atorvastatin, I experienced horrific nerve pain in one leg, couldn’t sleep at night. I also had increased dyspnoea due to the statin weakening my lung muscles. I joined the atorvastatin forum (yes, there is a forum dedicated to this one statin, through the Heart Foundation). My GP tried to combat the nerve pain with pregabalin, I reacted badly to pregabalin and a hospital doctor struck it off my medication list telling me it was now reclassified as a class-c drug.

By chance, my pharmacy messed up my prescription and I had to wait four or five days to get my atorvastatin. During this time, the nerve pain went. Atorvastatin has a long list of side-effects, and my GP then recommended rosuvastatin which is, apparently, more effective and has a very small and comforting list of side-effects. I am on 10mg rosuvastatin, my cholesterol levels were not over the mark, but my GP felt they weren’t low enough to warrant not taking statins. I feel he was following a rote post-stroke procedure. As soon as I go for my next check-up, and if my blood tests show my cholesterol levels are fine. I will go off statins.

If there is something one can manage without medication, it makes sense not to take it.

1 Like

Hello
My pharmacist in conjunction with my doctor changed my stating to Rosuvastatin as I am taking Amlodipine 10mg.
he explained that the Amlodipine had a slight reaction with some Statins but was okay with Rosuvastatin.
Might be of help

1 Like

Hi peeps, I was on simvastatin before stroke (as a precaution due to heart valve op) and had no I’ll effects, but whilst in hospital after the stroke they stuck me on atorvastatin (after initially forgetting to give anything). This caused a really nasty rash over most of my body that itched like hell :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Eventually after quite a few days (& reverting back to simvastatin) it calmed down.
Now I don’t seem to have any obvious bad side effects (although I’m on 6 different pills per day).
I probably don’t need a statin but if it doesn’t cause obvious problems I’ll leave it.
Though I don’t agree with half the world being on them just to make the drug companies richer!
Hope you’re recovering well Lorraine.

1 Like

@Rups thank you for your input. I’m thinking the same I don’t want to take them either my levels where fine it just comes with the stroke drugs. I’m amazed at how less painful my body is today. @Al59 thanks I agree I think we are all unique and shouldn’t all have to take this medication if unnecessary. @Ingo66 thank you my hand is stinging today but because I’m in less pain everywhere else I can cope with it. Kind regards to you all and thanks for your advice Loraine :heart_eyes:

@Loshy I’ve recently had my statin dose increased by my GP & when I mentioned it to my stroke consultant the other week they were surprised it had been increased but did say the GP was following the prescribed treatment. The consultant did mention it could cause muscle pain and liver problems. But they were happy I stayed on it as long as GP monitored everything. I’m in a slightly different position to you as I have familial hypercholesterolemia which is basically a genetic version. If your cholesterol is ok and you’re feeling a lot better not taking them then speak to your GP & see if you can stop them.
Hope you’re doing OK after your op xxxx

2 Likes

Hi @Mrs5K I’ve just found out that I have this. The GP surgery didn’t tell me they just said I had high cholesterol and put me on Atorvastatin 40mg two weeks ago. it was my Cardiologist that confirmed the FH last week and he has written to my GP requesting I’m prescribed Repatha. That was on Friday and I haven’t heard anything from the GP yet.

Would you mind sharing what treatment you are on for the FH cholesterol and if it is keeping it under control? (I don’t know anyone else with this and it’s scared me a bit (what doesn’t ’though!))

@DDMH apart from my dad I’ve never come across anyone with it either so think we must be in an exclusive group :grin:

The medication I am on for it is atorvastatin 80 mg and I take blood thinners - clopidogrel 75mg.

My last cholesterol reading was 3.6 so guess the meds are keeping it under control. My dad was treated for years with statins which kept his cholesterol under control. His original cholesterol reading was in double figures and it bought it down to normal range so guess it works OK.

1 Like

Hi Ann @Mrs5K thanks fir information it’s interesting to see all our doses we take. I am going to give it a few days and see how I feel then see if I can stop taking it and have my levels checked 2 monthly intervals I hope. Not sure about had as it’s heavily bandaged still. First lot comes off in 4 more days then the small dressing stays on for another 5 after that hopefully stitches will have dissolved by then. It is stinging and burning a bit today. Thank you :blush:

1 Like

@Loshy hopefully your hand will be good when all those dressing go come off. The first few days after an op are always the most painful.

I’m sure your gp will agree to 2 monthly cholesterol checks to make sure all ok.

Best wishes

Ann xx

1 Like

My dad and sister had high cholesterol both were on medication they said it’s hereditary. My lifestyle has been very different to my sisters and dad (he’s now passed away). My sister has come off her statins due to pains. All the pains have gone though her levels are 10.5 which is high. Loraine

It seems we’re forming a merry band of familial hypercholesterolemia people. Although it doesn’t always pass to all family members. My 2 sisters are OK currently. I’m surprised they’ve not put your sister back on different statins with levels that high. xx

1 Like

@Mrs5K she has refused to go back on them. She is trying to deal with her diet now. She quit smoking too. I was onto her all the time. I’m 6 years older than her so after my stroke she quit. Xx

Hopefully she can make progress with her diet & it’s good she’s given up smoking. xx

1 Like

Wow I didn’t know anyone else now there’s three of us - anyone else that has? And… if so, what meds are you on?

1 Like

Hi Loshy-- I have tried all the statins, even Pravastatin(which the doctor said was the mildest. ) They all give me abdominal pain. So, the doctor put me on Zetia, which is not a statin and works differently, but does lower cholesterol. However, it does not lower it as much. It doesn’t bother me at all. In addition she has me on 500 mg Niacin (a B vitamin that lowers cholesterol a little.:heart: Jeanne

1 Like

@axnr911 hi Jeannie thanks for that information. I think you live in USA? If not sorry. I feel much better off them. Kind regards Loraine x

Hi Loraine-- Yes. I live in the USA, San Marcos -a small town in San Diego county, California. I felt immediately better after stopping statins, as well. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

@axnr911 thank you I thought you did. Our medication is not the same as yours so some of what you take either has a different name to ours or it’s completely different to ours. I feel so much better again today with no statins.
Though I have to call doctors to change next week.
Kind wishes Loraine x

1 Like

I had the same issue as I was on 80 mg after my stroke but had to drop to 40 mg as I was locking up. Co enzyme Q10 - 100 mg has worked for me. I have little issue with atorvastatin 40 mg daily. Back in the gym 3 times per week just the usual issues of balance & eyesight & slight weakness down my left side following my stroke in 2019, I am 71 now, although the bodytrax assessment tells me I am 56.
I had problems with all the different statins pre my stroke so recommend trying Q10

1 Like