Statins and Strokes

Hi

I had a stroke 6 months ago. Not severe, but enough to stop me running and cycling.  I was put on a statin (Atorvastatin which i think is pretty standard) and started to suffer severe leg and arm ache so bad it was difficult to walk more than a few 100m. It was like the pain when you have exercised).  It was pretty constant and only relievable by rest. I was swtiched to Rosuvastatin after two months. That has been better but still get the aches in both legs and in my arms after any exercise.  So still an issue. I'm sure its the statin and not the stroke as affects both legs equally whereas the stroke hit my left leg.

Has anyone got any experience here, alternative statins used?

Hi Jim - I have been on and off statins for almost 20 years and still have not found one that doesn't give muscle pain. My cholestrol level at the last test was 6.9.  When I had my stroke 2 years ago it was 6.0. I have tried Simvastatin, Rosuvastatin, Astorvastin, Pravastatin and most recently Ezemtibe.  All have given the same muscle pain and after a couple of admissions to A & E due to weakness to the point of not being able to get out of bed without aid, it was decided by the hospital that I am allergic to them.  

The only statin that actually reduced my cholestrol was Rosuvastatin which I was put on after my stroke by the hospital. It reduced it from 6 to 4.6 in 6 weeks which is staggering for me!  The other statins actually put my cholestrol levels up.  One suggestion I had from the hospital was to try Benecol drink. They said not to bother with the margarine, yogurts etc as they are a waste of money but the drinks have a higher content of plant stenols. It did reduce mine gradually when I tried it prior to stroke and I am about to try that again shortly. You have a drink every morning for breakfast. It tastes lovely especially the multi-fruit one :) Boots also do a 'natural' plant stenol tablet which apparently is good but it can't be taken with some medications so best to check with the chemist before trying.

You mention you can no longer run or cycle.. have you thought about weightlifting? I,m not talking about body building but gradual lifting of weights on machines. I have found that weightlifting lowers my cholestrol quicker and more than exercise alone.  It is now common knowledge in the fitness industry that cardio exercise is great for the heart but doesn't burn off as many calories as weightlifing does. It's also great for stamina, strength, posture and your bones.   Hope that helps.

Dear Jim

Over the next six months i hope you can edge your running and cycling up a few notches. If not, then you should get some physio to see whats going on.

If the sole purpose of statins is to reduce cholestorol then perhaps you might try diet etc with a view to stopping the statins. I think doctors are obliged to give statins, If, however, you ask the Doc if you can reduce or stop statins then many doctors will be happy with that. I was 68 when the stroke got me and I point blank asked my doctor if I could drop statins. I said I would prefer 10 good years rather than 15 poor years.

I do however think that your aching muscles could also be other medication or the after stroke effect. I still get exactly what you describe. I need endless rest to overcome the physical problems.

Another issue is that I have left side weakness. So I carefully got my left side to work better. In the meantime my right side was being crushed by the extra it was taking on. I now go to gentle or seated yoga classes and that helps sort out the bones, joints and muscles. 

It is very good that you are addressing these issues sooner rather than later.

Well done.

Colin

Thamks Colin, thats very helpful. I am on statins to reduce the risk of fatty plaques breaking off on the theory thats what caused the stroke.  Cholestorol is fine. Im going on a heart monitor soon to see if an irregular heart beat could have caused the stroke. If that is so, maybe i don't need the statins. Time will tell.

Thanks Onwardsandupwards, thats very helpful. Like the positive name. I am on statins to reduce the risk of fatty plaques breaking off on the theory thats what caused the stroke.  Cholestorol is fine. Im going on a heart monitor soon to see if an irregular heart beat could have caused the stroke. If that is so, maybe i don't need the statins. Time will tell. If not I willl continue working through the statins.

My heart beat was bad for several months after stroke. The pulse rate was dropping below 50rpm and even to 40rpm. I pushed for a pacemaker but the doctors delayed and dodged the subject. Glad they did, because after many months heart beat returned to my typical 65 ish rpm.  So many things go wrong after stroke, but they do often come right without any invasive action.

Colin

After my Stroke I was put on Atorvastatin 40mg and I have not had any side effects as you describe. I am able to be active hiking with no issues now I have my leg movement back. Some seem to have issues some do not so it's worth asking which others you can try and or adjust the dose?

Good luck with finding something that works.

Malcolm