Stabilising my weak arm and hand

I am writing this post to encourage people to push for any support they need to make progress. As Colin has often pointed out, stroke survivors get very little support once out of hospital.

Since my stroke four years ago, my weak left hand tends to jerk about and my arm feels like a heavy weight, especially round the shoulder. When I mentioned this to my exercise class instructor, he pointed out that our arms hang downwards, but our brain does not feel them as weight and our shoulder muscles are strong enough to support them.

Anyway, after three years of feeling this weight and being unable to use my left hand much, I asked my doctor if I could have some physio for the arm and hand. I got referred six months ago, was given exercises and these now seem to be working and I have noticed an improvement.

Being fairly old now, it has taken constant daily exercise to see this improvement but worth the effort. I think the point I am trying to make is that we should all push for the help and support we need. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Very wise words, as always JJM.  You are a prime example of the important of perseverance.  Stay strong, take care xx