Speech difficulty

Would like help with aphasia with dyspraxia of language 

Dear Chuds

Welcome to the forum.

Those of us with aphasia can find it difficult to write on here. You have managed that, so well done.

I am not medically trained, so all I do is offer info based on my own experience.

I had difficulty taking in what was said to me and also trying to respond. I tried to gently manage this problem and over about 12 weeks things did improve. I am now 46 months and aphasia is no longer a big problem. I have not got the word ability that I used to have, but I can manage OK. 

In the first days all I heard was noise. I had to work out what that noise was, break it into words then fathom what the words meant. This takes time and most people have said something else before I had worked out the first things. Then I have to do the reverse to speak to people. 

After about 20 weeks I could communicate. After 36 months I could read aloud and so on.

Obviously my aphasia was mild, but I hope this gives you some hope of what might be going on. 

I do not understand dyspraxia. A stroke messes up our messaging system. Over time our amazing brains find ways around the messaging. Is dyspraxia a failurue of the messaging that doesnt get a way around ? Did you have dyspraxia before stroke ? And how long ago did the stroke bite you ?

Lots of us are here for you and will chip in when we think it might help. So do try and tell us a bit more about yourself if you want us to try and respond.

Best wishes

Colin

Thank you for your reply it is my husband who had the stroke 14 months ago he can say 10 short words we have practised but not to order.  His brain cannot send the right message to his mouth and that I understand is the dyspraxia so if he could speak it would be the wrong word. He finds it hard to recognise letters but we keep practicing. We have not been given much hope for the future but never say never. 

Quite right...never say never. I dont know anything about dyspraxia. But loss of words and speech will often improve a lot. I think medical satff are frightened of saying positive things about recovery. The relatives will only pile in if the patient doesnt recover. Many of us on this forum have worked away at our own recovery with a lot of success.

I thought about a couple of the current forum contributors. I can now sing five songs without discomfort. Thats taken me 46 months.But when I was slightly improving each month then the years didnt matter.

Asphasia was the least of my concerns so it didnt get a lot of attention. And my asphasia was not anywhere near as bad as many.

I do reckon its me and only me that can effect my own recovery. Support and help are fabulous but its really all down to me.

Best wishes

Colin

From what I understand about my mild dyspraxia, I’m mispronouncing a syllable or phoneme or substituting f or s for t. Have you sought advice from a speech therapist?