Sleep

Hey all, just wondering if this was normal following a TIA. So some days i suffer fatigue and other days not so bad. However, when it comes to going to bed, trying to fall asleep is a nightmare, all through the night is broken sleep,is this normal? I dont sleep or nap in the day, i used to sleep 8 hours a night before my TIA. Is it because im not as avtive as i was possibly?

4 Likes

Hi @Trevor46

A lot of people report disturbed sleep post stroke - Mine took a year plus and isn’t fully right yet.

What worked me in the first year was getting up for 10 or 15 minutes when I couldn’t get back to sleep and starting the go to bed routine again.

There is lots on the web about sleep strategies - routines, things to avoid like phones that generate blue light… and if you search with the magnifying glass above for posts in the forum about sleep and insomnia it will get a lot of strategies and examples of other people’s challenges.

I wrote a bit on a technique that has worked for me but took a while to to become dependable. It is in
Sleeping &Stress and works fairly well for me now

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Hi Trevor,

I’m not an expert about this, haven’t had a stroke myself, but it can definitely be true that getting to sleep at night can be more difficult if you’re not as active during the day. Personally I find it easier to fall asleep while the sun is crossing over the horizon, either going up or down, for some reason that is the time I get the sleepiest. If I am still awake after the sun goes down then it can become more difficult to fall asleep until dawn, then important to go to sleep before the next day starts if possible.

3 Likes

@Trevor46 many people report sleep problems after a stroke although I didn’t have that problem. I was complete opposite - slept long hours. I did suffer pre stroke though and tried to set myself a routine. Same time to bed same time to get up irrespective of how well i’d slept. I eventually tried a herbal sleeping tablet - jist for a couple of days & it helped a bit.

Some people use lavendar on their pillow. All the usual things should be avoided too - phones, tablets, eating too late etc.

Hope it starts to settle for you soon.

2 Likes

Hi @Trevor46 and welcome to the forum🙂
I went through the exact same thing post stroke. It took me the best part of a year to sort itself out. It was just a case of go with the flow until it does. You can’t fight it, and I didnt relish the idea of going down the route of sleeping pills.

Right now your brain is in repair mode. Its working round the clock repairing the damage done. So its working to its own time scale not yours. So its more a case of rest/sleep when you can. Doesnt matter if you only get to close your eyes but not actually fall asleep, the brain is getting rest. The key is not to bother actually getting stressed about it, that’s is just a waste of energy your brain could put to better use.

Nutrient supplements wouldn’t go amiss to backup your system and support your brain’s recovery. Healing takes a lot of energy and a drain on your body’s resources.

So don’t worry about not sleeping. Just develope yourself a bedtime routine. Then repeat in the night by getting up in the night if you wake, go do something for an hour then try again. You will eventually get it back, its just a matter of patience and perseverance :wink:

3 Likes

I was on sleeping tablets for the first couple of years because I had such trouble sleeping and worried it would impact on my energy levels/mood. My sleep wasn’t too bad after that. Now I usually put on an audio book and that gets me off to sleep almost immediately. It has the same effect if I wake up during the night (I know the book inside-out now, so it doesn’t matter if miss bits!)

4 Likes

I’ve been using Calm sleep stories on YouTube for a few years now. You don’t have to pay for them and there are a few to choose from. I have recommended the Nordic night train read by Erik Braa in the past which is one I’ve used regularly. It was a good while before I ever heard the end of the story, I was always asleep before it finished. It’s worth a try anyway.

2 Likes