Sight issues

I had a Stroke of the Thalamus about 3 years ago and am coping well with the issues I have been left with, all bar one.  Whilst my eyesight is ok, I really struggle to accurately read numbers, especially telephone numbers.

Often I can't tell whether a 111 in a number is "1", "11", or "111".  There are many other instances as well which is making the work I do, very difficult.  I am looking at the word "difficult" now and can't see if I have spelt it correctly.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and is there any help?

Hello. I had a Stroke 11 months ago and was only 2 weeks ago I heard it was a Thalmic Stroke. Not sure what difference it makes. 

I have noticed a difference in my spelling ability. Being in education, I have always been a great speller but now, I find it very challenging. It is almost like some dyslexic tendencies have arisen. I mix up letters eg b&d, th&f, c&o etc or mix up word order in sentences, which is tricky but thank heavens for spellcheck!  I have to re-read and edit everything I type which takes time. I've noticed any difference with numbers, however. 

I hope things continue to improve for you but you will be able to develop your own strategies to support you. And if I'm having a particularly bad day, I send my error filled email off, with my apologies!

look after yourself 

Join our club. Spelling, speaking, arithmetic. All likely to change. And on the plus side, several reported effects say poetry starts up and even music. So there are sunny spells around.

Yes bad days. Then good days.

And you hardly notice that, overall, things improve.

Your error filled mail is better than my good ones.

Smiling is an important help. Minimum four smiles a day. And if its not genuine then a false, forced or fake smile is good enough. I have heard technical explanations why this works. I just know it improves things for me.

Best wishes

Colin

Hello

I had a haemorrhagic stroke 7 yrs ago. My sight was one of the things affected. I find it very difficult some days to focus on text of anysort and as a result I often read things wrongly and mis spell . I also see the opposite of what is there so if it said ",hot" I might read "cold" ! I can laugh about this now! Two things helped me;

- a charity called Visability who helped me find a an easier way of using my computer ( enlarging text, changing background colour, having text that computer reads aloud etc) all things help on days when I need it. I am not sure if it is a national charity. Employers can get funding to provide any computer programmes or adaptations that you need.

- I also referred myself to local university that teaches opthamology / opticians. Teaching University's are always looking for interesting eye conditions and they have helped me understand how my eyes have been affected. So I can work around my difficulties my eyes vary throughout the day much worse when tired or not using a strong light when I am reading.

Hope this helps you.

Julie

Dear healden  l had two strokes 7 months ago. With the second one  a month apart I lost part the sight of left eye. I find the same as you like double vision. My sight gets blurry after a time if I rest for while I get my sight improved. Good luck with your disability. Blessings judy

I have exactly same problem. Had   my first stroke in January and second in May. It is frustrating sometimes but I concentrate on being positive on what is working and hopefully things will improve over time. Best wishes 

A massive thank you to all that have replied, I didn't expect that.  As I am sure you will all agree it helps a lot to know you are not on your own.  Best wishes to all of you and please stay safe.

You have just made me smile - thank you

Absolutely not on your own. You will find this group a tower of strength when you need it! X

I am interested in sight issues. I had an haemorrhagic stroke in 2006 and am now hemiplegic.

For most of my previous life, I had the use of one eye following physical trauma. The damaged eye remains in place and is light-sensitive.

In childhood, my brain learned to suppress the faulty image. As a result, I drove for about fifty years without any incident. I surrendered my licence after the stroke.

Now, however, I am aware of light and shadow so I find myself shying away. My brain seems to have lost the knack of suppressing the distorted image. I couldn’t drive now if I wanted to.

Does anyone else recognise this circumstance?