Sharing some positive news

Well done Andy, lots of positive things happening for you. Good to hear (read).

I hope work goes well for you. Remember to ease in!

2 Likes

It’s so nice to see something positive and to see that stroke victims are getting better and getting on with life. Thank you so very much for your post it has made me feel like there’s life after a stroke after all. I recently went to Cyprus to visit my sister I had 2 weeks out thereMy husband could only stay a week as his business is very demanding. I flew a friend out for the second week, she’s had some seriously bad luck over the last couple of years and she deserved a break. As a result I can now walk much further and can do so many things that I wouldn’t even dare to attempt at home. I’m keeping up with the walking and I feel far more motivated and positive about my situation now. I’m glad to see that you are on the up and long may it be so….

5 Likes

What a great positive uplifting post linda and lovely to hear about your trip and how youre doing.

Long may that continue.

Take care

Andy

Congratulations on your good news and stroke progress. You have done exceedingly well . Reading about someone elses progress certainly inspires oneself to keep on trying although it is difficult at times ! I,m looking forward to seeing you on the TV " Marathon runner " :wink: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Sandy thsts a lovely message and i hope sll going ok with you too

Andy

Hi Julia, how valuable have you found the treadmill ?
On a good day I can fast walk across my garden and on a very good day I can slow jog. The garden isn’t completely flat which makes it harder to have that consistent rhythm.
It feels like I have to teach my legs to move at speed again

1 Like

The treadmill is really helping me snd my gait and speed etc. I think it builds confidence too. My wife says?my walking action is much more fluid now and that just after 2 sessions. Still a long way to go.

Just back from a session at the gym in the hydrotherapy pool…shattered now!!!

3 Likes

Hi Andy, so pleased the treadmill is working well for you. I miss my treadmill but its not safe for me to use with a foot that won’t lift off the floor. Advised by my physio, when i asked, that it would be a very bad idea :rofl: i am looking for ways to try & increase my speed though…think my dizziness is impacting that.

Hydrotherapy sounds great though even if tiring.

So pleased you’re making such good progress.

Ann xx

1 Like

Hello @Nigelglos. Glad you are using the treadmill with a view to relearning quicker movement.
I too used it to gain confidence when I took it outside. I used to run several times a week preaccident/stroke and it has long been a goal to get back to it. I don’t think I’ll ever see running again but I used the treadmill to build up to a slow jog and then with a massive leap of faith took it outside. I find that the rhythm generated is self perpetuating. Just need to keep working on the fitness.
To put this in perspective I lost all movement on my left due to a midbrain stroke for a couple of weeks (July 21), hand still not brilliant and coordination/balance still an issue. It’s been a long slow haul but I’m getting there.
Keep going but being mindful of the risk of falling, without that fear completely preventing you from making progress. All the best, Julia x

1 Like

Hi Julia
I haven’t used a treadmill so far, I was wondering how you got on before seeing if it could help.
It looks from your reply and others that there could be some real benefit in it.
I will need to get the painkillers dose down first as it’s making me like a zombie, feel completely detached and dizzy, not a great combination to try something new !
Cheers
Nigel

1 Like

Hi Nigel @Nigelglos. Sorry I got muddled up about you already using a treadmill-it happens alarmingly often☺️.
I am lucky that I have one in the garage, bought during the first lock down winter when I realised the gym was going to shut. How little did I know. It is not the same as jogging outside-sorry for stating the obvious but it has been important in my rehabilitation towards initially walking (along with wheelchair, frame, 2 sticks, 1 stick, -they were all involved), then why stop there? The idea of having some form of attachment to stabilise you as mentionned by @TRFCANDY53 makes sense. Initially I held on to the arms of the treadmill and only used it when I knew my husband was around with the safety cord attached. I would try one out in a gym or physio before committing to purchasing one obviously. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but initially make sure you have someone around if not to supervise but for safety’s sake, all the best Julia x

2 Likes

Great advice Julia. My neurophysio has told me im not readyvto use one at the gym yet as i need supervision and help with my affected foot… i use one at the hospital gym under his guidance. Its early days but can definitely say its helping

2 Likes