Sharing some good news

Pretty much from home with occasional trip to the office. Be careful when starting back as it’s very easy to overdo things. I ramped up too quickly as I was loving the feeling of still being ‘normal’ as far as the job was concerned but the dreaded fatigue took a huge toll! I had to scale back and they helped by appointing OT trough their insurance. I’m now doing 4 days with a recovery day on Wednesdays but they are going to try a period with two recovery days in the new year to try and help me focus on my recovery a bit more. The goal being to go backwards to try and get me back to full time. I have been very lucky to have had this support.

1 Like

Thanks…wise words and great support from your employers. Mine have been great so far and want to support me as much as possible - reduced hours days and even change of role for a period.
We are fine moneywise thankfully - had a critical illness policy pay out so one huge stress we dont have. Im getting PIP and ESA too .

1 Like

The ricability site is good to search for cars by criteria such as door sill height. If you get PIP then you can consider Motability.
Good luck with the new car.
Janet

1 Like

Many thanks Janet gor your advice.

Its top of my 2023 new years resolutions to get back driving so will heed all of the great advice ive received bmbefore rushing into anything.

Cheers

Andy

Congrats @TRFCANDY53! I’m sure you running around in no time :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Leanne

Running round a tennis court im working towards

Cheers

ANDY XX

@TRFCANDY53 I love my blue badge, takes the stress out of shopping knowing I can park nearer the shop doors. I am in the process of applying for my d/l back knowing it’s going to be hard work, as I had seizures caused by my stroke, been a year free of them, suffer sleep apnoea also caused by stroke. am hopeful to get it back soon

1 Like

Best off luck gettung that sorted Chris.

Fingers crossed for you (right hand only at the moment)

Cheers and ATB

Andy

1 Like

My stroke was some 15 years ago. At the time, well four months later after I emerged from hospital, I read the DVLA website. It said that I had to tell them that I’d had a stroke, but did not give a time frame to do that. (It may have changed). So I didn’t tell them at that point, as I knew that they’d take my license away, and I’d have to go through the reapplication process.
After some time, I got authorisation from a test centre in Cardiff that I was fir to drive, and they gave me a certificate saying so. I rang DVLA and said that I’d had a stroke, and asked how long it would take them to process the paperwork to allow me to drive. I was asked, ‘had I still got my license’, yes, and so there was no reason for me not to start driving straight away.
I use a blue badge, mainly because I have to have the drivers door wide open to easily get in and out. It’s not as easy as before my stroke, but I manage. That’s one of the guiding lights for stroke survivors, do what you can, and don’t live in the past,. when you could do everything. And don’t look on the blue badge as a failure, it provided you with the means to get about easily.

4 Likes

Thanks @Ken_Cooper appreciete the info and advice.

Hi Andy. I can honestly say, I can’t function without my car. I’m in a small village with very limited public transport (the bus stop was too far to walk for a long time). Just having that independence makes all the difference. Well done you!

3 Likes

Thanks @MinnieB great to hear abd superb on getting thst independence back.

Qhat car do you have? Is it a mini? Lol

Haha. I see what you did there. I’m actually on my second Toyota Yaris. I have adaptations to make up for my lack of right hand and foot use. The new Yaris has automatic lighting and wipers, so I no longer have to pull over to switch them on or off!

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Im after an automatic or ekectric car as its my left side that is affected. Im openminded what make …

Did you go through a motability scheme?

No. I didn’t score enough PIP points to qualify for Motability, but the PIP payments help with Insurance payments and running costs etc.

1 Like

Ah ok. Every little helps i guess