Sex and Intimacy Rehabilitation After Stroke

This research participation request is organised by an external researcher and not the Stroke Association. We therefore cannot take responsibility for the opportunity.

Sheffield Hallam University

A stroke can affect people in lots of different ways. From changes in how people see themselves as a person and their role in life, to physical and emotional changes within relationships or how they might approach dating or starting a new relationship.

An area of stroke rehabilitation not regularly addressed by healthcare professionals is the changes people can experience with sex and intimacy.

Also known as sexuality rehabilitation, UK national stroke guidance says stroke professionals should offer advice about sex and intimacy as part of therapy alongside support with walking, swallowing, or washing and dressing practice before they leave hospital.

In reality, research suggests that very few people are asked if they would like to talk about sex and intimacy at any stage of their stroke recovery.

This research project aims to explore people’s experience of sex and intimacy rehabilitation, both from people who were spoken to about concerns regarding sex and intimacy and those who were not to better understand what sexuality rehabilitation people want.

What will it Involve?

Taking part will involve having an interview (a chat) with the researcher (me, Hannah, a mature Occupational Therapy student) for no more than 30 - 45 minutes.

Interviews will be carried out securely online via Zoom video conferencing platform (written instructions and a practice session can be arranged if this would be helpful).

Everything discussed will be confidential. Cameras can be kept off and, of course, all personal data will be anonymised to protect your identity.

Who can take part?

To take part in the research you must be over the age of 18 and need to:

• have been diagnosed with having had a stroke (at any point in the past)
  • be happy to discuss personal thoughts and feelings about sex and intimacy
  • have access to a computer, laptop, smartphone or device
  • be available to carry out a 30-45 minute interview on Zoom (there will be an optional call prior to the interview in case you wish to practice using the technology)

You won’t be able to take part if you:

• have a significant cognitive or speech impairment (I cannot support them sufficiently)
  • are unhappy to discuss personal thoughts and feelings about sex and intimacy
  • are the partner of someone who’s had a stroke
  • are a professional who works with stroke patients
  • have had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA), also known as a ‘mini stroke’

How Can I Register my Interest?

Please contact hannah.adams3@student.shu.ac.uk letting her know that you are interested in taking part in the research or if you would like to find out more.

1 Like