Sensory overload and aphasia

Last night I had an awful experience of sensory overload which triggered of my aphasia, we went to the LiverpoolPhilharmonic call for their spirit of Christmas concert,  tradition for us , it meant a lot to me because I felt it was something I was getting back after the stroke.  At the interval we went to the bar for a glass of wine, it was absolutely packed and the noise was unbearable , After about 5 minutes all Icould hear was a cacophony of noise, it was frightening I couldn’t speak, icould t hear anything that made sense,it was awful, I did t recover my speech until 1am this morning. I have woken up withSF this morning and my speech is a bit slower, so plenty of rest today.  I am sure many of you will have experienced this sensory overload, I would be grateful for your comments, Lyn x

Hi Lyn poor you , must have been very scary. Definitely rest all day today and take it easy tomorrow as well. Some of these things are just a bit too much. On Thursday I did over 18,000 steps on a long walk with a friend. I then did a bit of shopping. I did a few more chores yesterday then went to friends for drinks. We stayed too late. We find our Christmas food shop early, I didn’t have enough sleep and ended up dropping the cafetière with some coffee still in it. Wife wasn’t impressed ?

ive just done too much and I am knackered now. 

I was advised by my consultant, actually it was more of an instruction, no alcohol at all. I’ve pretty much obeyed that apart from the occasional half of a weak session ale. 

Hope you feel better soon

Sandy

Dear Lyn

All sounds to me as typical of stroke recovery. I must say that you had an extreme case and perhaps you need to slow down. Let the recovery come to you slowly. It took you 25 years to learn how your own body works, so having to relearn is going to take time.

Your post describes aphasia very well indeed. 

My problem was that my brain had forgotten how to deal with an echo. So whenever i went to anything that used a PA system or microphone, then I just disintegrated. I didnt know why. One day I worked out it was the PA system and from that realization my brain started to cope. I quickly then grasped it was echos and now I am OK. 

Everthing does improve. We have to continually try with recovery but not do it too fast. Shame no one knows what "too fast" or "continually try" actually are. We have to learn ourselves. We are all different and no two strokes are the same. But we share many common features from which we camn get good ideas.

I do like the fact that Sandy has pointed out that SF affects the next day and then the day after that.

bless you all

Colin

Thank you Sandy, hope you and your wife have a lovely Christmas, Lyn x

Thank you Colin , it really does help to share and know that others understand . A very happy Christmas to you and your family. Lyn x

Merry Christmas Lyn and to your family as well. 

Lets stay strong for 2019

Sx

Hello Lyn,

we went with friends to a concert our neighbours daughter was in. I could feel the tension in John. It wasn’t long after his Stroke. At the interval we left for home even though we’d arranged to give our friends a lift. Facially, John looks perfectly normal and he was embarrassed. Our friends were lovely though. It took him a few days to recover. 

V

Hello Veronica , thank you, yes it it is only 3 months for me, so that may have contributed, a very happy Christmas to you and John , Lyn x

We've all been there, and it's hellishly scary the first time it happens, you just think "It's another stroke", but the brain is just crying out for rest.  Most of us recognise the signs now, and take prompt action.  The trouble is, it can be unpredictable, and sometimes things you think will be tricky, pass by without incident, and then something less significant can prove a problem.  What an exciting challenge!!  Keep on trucking xx