Scaredof MRI

As I have said on many of occasions I have got this funny head which I cant explain. I saw a neurologist who thought it could be my inner ear and suggested that I had a MRI but said it would take about 30 minutes in that tunnel which I get panicky as I have had several and dont like them . I am trying to decide to go ahead but dont know what to do. If anybody can suggest how I can pluck my courage up as I know I ought to go ahead with it as they might find why I have suffered for so long. My stroke was June 2017 and my head has been like it all day every day since then. Norma.

Morning Norma ,I hate being in confined spaces too but I had to have one after my stroke 5 weeks ago ,I too was dreading it ,but because your having your head done only it is quite quick I thought ...I just layed there and thought of all the good things that made me happy and even thought of in my head doing a shopping list even thou I was in hospital lol keep your eyes closed and breath it will be over before you know it ,and just think it will give you closure to why your getting funny head,you can do Norma think positive,it will help if you keep thinking you can't do it you will convince yourself you can't ,think yes I can do it and you will ,all the best ....you can do it ..pippy ..

thank you ever so much Pippy I knoqw it will be at least a half an hour but it is so noisy, I asked for Classic fm to be played through my earphones but it was so loud. I will try to do my yoga breathing and maybe the time will pass quickly, Once again thank you. Norma. best wishes.

Your so welcome ,it will be ok your be ok,it will give you the answers needed,...yeah breathing exercises positive head great thoughts and you will sail through it ...pippy ...

Hello Norma,

I get panic attacks in confined spaces, I had an MRI when last in hospital, and I have managed to have another now booked, as I too have a funny feeling in my head which needs investigating. Maybe have something in your hand that is a texture that you can rub with your fingers to take your mind off it, or something you can fiddle with, a plastic thing or something. It's surprising how quickly half an hour goes by, I was expecting it to feel like longer last time. If you think in your mind, "this thing is investigating for my benefit my brain", and thoughts like that as you are having it, the time will go quickly and you will feel more positive about what it is doing.

Rups

Hello Norma,

I get panic attacks in confined spaces, I had an MRI when last in hospital, and I have managed to have another now booked, as I too have a funny feeling in my head which needs investigating. Maybe have something in your hand that is a texture that you can rub with your fingers to take your mind off it, or something you can fiddle with, a plastic thing or something. It's surprising how quickly half an hour goes by, I was expecting it to feel like longer last time. If you think in your mind, "this thing is investigating for my benefit my brain", and thoughts like that as you are having it, the time will go quickly and you will feel more positive about what it is doing.

Rups

Morning, I was able to take my partner in with me and I could see her through the glass by your eyes which helped a lot. Also spoke to the doctor and was perscribed diazepam. If you explain to them they should allow one or if not both of the above. Hope all goes ok

Hi Norma

I did reply to your first post a while ago about fear of MRI's but you must have missed it.  I am also claustrophobic. Are you having the full head scan?  I had 2 of these and was petrified before I went.  Take some eye shades with you or ask them to give you some. They are readily available but people don't know this.  Ask to put on the eye shades before they start. It's a bit cumbersome with ear plugs, headphones, and eye pads on (thankfully, I didn't have to wear a mask as well even though they did) but because you can't see what's happening, you have no idea when you actually go inside the tunnel or what they are putting on your head.  Take your own earplugs too if you don't like the noise. They should have given you these anyway.

I took my mind off it inside by reciting my timestables in my head and although I got lost half way through, I just sang Cliff Richard songs. They told me 30mins - it took about 10 so definitely have it done so you can finally find out what's going on. Try not to worry, its just 10mins or so to get sorted. 

Edited to say we don't get music offered in Yorkshire!  They are tight over here LOL!

athanks for replying and the advice you give me I wil try anything. I havent told the doctor yet that I will have it  I keep chickening out.

Thanks to everybody who replied I have got lots tohelp me Norma.

Norma,

i keep my eyes shut. But you only have your head in the machine and, you can actually, see out. My local hospital now has space age newish scanners and it isnt like a tunnel, more space age.

colin

Hi Norma, you have had some brilliant replies and lots of lovely advice.  This MRI may be the key to unlocking whatever is making you feel so wobbly in your head.  It's important to get this done and dusted, and you never know, it may give the doctors something to follow up, which will deal with your problems.  

Maybe you could think about all your lovely friends on this site, cheering you on and distracting you from the noise  ??‍♀️???  

Hope you go through with it, and let us know the outcome xx

Thanks for that I know I have got a lot of kind friends on this forum and I reall do appreciate all of you. I feel much happier about it now. There has been so much useful advice . In the past I have felt so alone having them and sitting in the waiting room I used to feel like running out. Thanks again all of you. Norma. 

Thanks Pippy I find my yoga which I went to for 10 years very useful the relaxation and meditation. I think everything is a lot worse thinking about it than going through it. Norma.

Yes I think your right ..pippy ...

Hi Norma

Before retirement, I worked in a radiology department in Manchester Medical School, which had an MRI scanner and patients were offered a selection of music to listen to during their scans. Even if this is not offered to you, just think how you'd feel if you didn't take this opportunity and have the scan. I'm sure you'd regret it. Compared to how long you've been suffering these awful feelings in your head and the anxiety it's caused, then 30 minutes in the scanner is a relatively short time. You're stronger than you think and you know in your heart of hearts that you'll come out the other end just fine. Go for it Norma.

Thinking of you. Good luck,

Anne. xxx

Thanks Anne I will go ahead with it.

Well done Norma, that's a brilliant decision, and we'll all be rooting for you!  One day you might be giving support to someone else who is nervous, and telling them how you overcame your worries and breezed through the MRI  ?? stay strong xx

Dear Norma

I'm pleased you've decided to have the scan; you probably feel better just having made the decision. Hope all goes well. Will be thinking of you - do let us know the outcome.

With love, Anne xxx

I have tried to book to have an MRI but got nowhere the doctor said he cant do it the rules have changed I phoned the neurologists secretary she said my doctor had to doit . So where do I go from here. I plucked my courage up and am getting nowhere. Norma.