Runny Nose

Has anyone else experienced post-nasal drip after Stroke? I presume it is part of the general post-stroke over sensitivity to everything that I am experiencing. It’s not a serious side effect and nothing compared to what others are going through but I just wondered whether anyone else had experienced it. My GP doesn’t think it is to do with the Stroke and maybe it isn’t. She has prescribed a nasal spray which may be useful now that I’ve worked out how to get the top off!

1 Like

Hi Fiona @FionaB1 , yes! bizarrely I have had it really badly since my stroke (over 8 months ago). I take pockets full of tissues wherever I go now. I hadn’t directly related it to the stroke, more in the early days to the numbness in my nose (from the stroke) but that has eased quite a bit but my nose tap is still running! :sneezing_face::sneezing_face::sneezing_face:
I definitely also have increased saliva since the stroke but (apart from occasionally spitting slightly when I speak) it is nowhere near as annoying as the nose.
What a lovely weird bunch of survivors we are :wink:.

3 Likes

Hi all. I have not experienced a runny nose but I certainly an increase in saliva. I must be generating more profits for the tissue manufacturers. I dribble like a baby! Lilian

2 Likes

Thank you all. My GP is very attentive but always keen to look at side effects of drugs etc. I thought I would get more sense out of you who have been through it yourselves.

1 Like

Hi it’s shaz I too struggle now opening things and struggle loads with different temperatures sometimes when I hold a metal object the pain is horrible it feels like a burning sensation and the weather is a nightmare I feel it in my hand and foot when the temperature drops :cold_face: roll on the summer :sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Also looking forward to the summer although so far so good with the nasal spray. It hasn’t stopped my nose feeling cold but it has made it the drip less embarrassing. On the other hand perhaps that’s just because it’s slightly warmer

1 Like

Hello, I have had the nasal drip for some time. GP looked at a previous head MRI and discovered that the adenoids were swollen and a likely cause of the drip. Been referred to the local ENT since last November so no rush.

Welcome Dennis. Hope they sort your nose out

Hi I had a problem with a runny nose and was sceptical re the spray, it took about 6 weeks but it did eventually work for me :blush: Debbie

1 Like

I’ll keep going with it

It is the start of the hay fever season now, any other symptoms ie watery eyes, sneezing that may come later as the pollen count increases
Stay safe. xx

I have had a runny nose for nearly 7 years now. This was when I was first diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (AF). At that time I was put Bisoprolol (beta blocker to slow the heart rate). My late brother also had AF and was on the same medication. He also complained about his runny nose which he was adamant was caused by the Bisoprolol.
I don’t know what medication you are on but both my brother and I noticed the runny nose in the same way.
My strokes had not been diagnosed when the AF was first spotted but were diagnosed later after several more blackout episodes.

Hi @sunnyday , that’s really interesting to hear. I was on atenolol (beta blocker) before my stroke as I have had previous heart surgery but while I was in hospital after my stroke they changed my medication as it wasn’t compatible with the clopidogrel stroke medication. Guess what they put me on? Bisoprolol ! Maybe there is a link with that and runny noses?.
I guess if that is the best beta blocker for me then I can live with the nose tap.
Interesting though.

Thanks for all those comments. I am also on Bisoprolol. I’ll take it up with the GP if I can ever get to see one

Hi Fiona, yes I do and I thought it was COVID, so kept testing and after a while thought getting hay fever. But I think I come out of my strokes with only the loss of speech , but its back and gaining a therapy pup now 9 months old.

But brain isn’t functioning to full capacity, drive a petrol car and bike what don’t you put in a petrol motorbike? no prizes for the answer lol. John

Yes I get it and it’s not the only drip I now get unfortunately :yum::yum:

Yes, runny nose not too bad but I have regular sneezing fits! I could sneeze for England now but pre stroke, sneezed very rarely.

1 Like

Hi Mahoney,
Many thanks, hope you’re doing well also and making good progress.
Best regards.
Peter

1 Like