Residual effects of a TIA

Hello. New to this forum.
I am a 42 yr old guy. Fit healthy active. 3 weeks ago I had a TIA. I had weakness in my right arm followed by slurred speech for about 20 mins. All scans have been clear since. The only residual effects seem to be fatigue. I also have tingling/strange weakness in my right arm and leg. Not enough to stop me doing anything, but concerning and frustrating none the less. Has anyone else experienced this. Any advice or thoughts welcome.

2 Likes

@Samcl welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you’ve had a TIA. Fatigue seems to be quite normal. I had a stroke so can’t offer TIA advice but many on here have & i’m sure they’ll respond to your post.
Best wishes.

Ann x

I had a CT scan and it picked up multiple small strokes/TIAs. The Radiologist said he could not give me an MRI scan because it might interfere with my pacemaker.
My CT scan was one where they inject some special ‘dye’ into the bloodstream that enhances the scan pictures.

I had a CT and an MRI.
I was all clear.

Shwmae Jane, cerebellar stroke does not show on CT scan because of the bone density in that area but an MRI will detect it. However, other types of stroke can be picked up on a CT scan. Unfortunately, for us cerebellar stroke survivors, MRI is a more expensive piece of kit. Hope you are fairing well this week :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Sam, last year around May/June i had a total of around 10 TIAs … first one started with numbness in my lips then in my left hand … very frightening if you have never had one, and i was relatively well at 77 years old apart from lots of joint/arthritis problems … taken by ambulance to hospital where i sat for 6 hours without seeing anyone … finally saw a nurse who gave me a high dose aspirin and sent home …had others next day or two, again hospital not seen just given advise …since then it was discovered i had had two brain bleeds as well … that was last year since then i also often get very tired, and on occassion have tingles in my lip and left hand not perfectly the same as it was The thumb often twitches , feels much weaker than it normally did, which means i cant pick up heavy things with that hand now … still never saw the consultant at Sunderland hospital, but he did phone me to arrange CT scans and MRI … other than that no one seems to give a jot … however someone from the local Stroke Association visited and asked if i were on any benefits NO, cos I worked all my life, and only thing i get is low rate DLA for all the joint and back problems( from years back) … advised me to ask DLA to look at it again as i now have lots of things I can no longer do so perhaps someone on here can advise about that because I am worried if I do i stand the risk of them cancelling even the small amount I get now …I bet there are times you get worried about more TIAs too … i just cant get rid of that feeling and it scares me, especially if i feel i am going to get a headache … but dont worry you will be fine …

1 Like

Hi thanks for the response.
The psychology is very interesting. Im young healthy and this came out of the blue. I don’t fit any of the risk factors either. So it messed with my head. I do worry as I have a young son too.
It does seem like once you are discharged, you are on your own.
My bloods show slight anemia. So at least I can try and address that.
Good to talk with people about it. As no one can relate unless you in it.

I think if not already getting you cant claim PIP over pension age. The alternative is attendance allowance. I would suggest you check with CAB @Ismeval as they know loads about these things & will also help you complete any paperwork.

The benefits system is sooooo complicated i’m surprised anyone manages to claim anything.

My mother in law claimed attendance allowance a few years ago & the local housing benefits officer helped her claim. Once she got this allowance she was then entitled to other help with things like council tax.

It’s a mine field thats for sure.

@Samcl

Good evening, and welcome!

Variations and similarities… 49 years here, fit, healthy and more active now. My TIA at New Year saw me with no speech at first and then immediately slurry for a couple of days. Tiredness would then cause slurred speech but otherwise okay. Not 100% yet but almost there and in time…

Fatigue is part of this next chapter. Your system is healing. I’d heard - and read, here - there is no value in fighting it. Instead, work with it. By way of example, at first I needed a sleep each day. Then not each day but perhaps just a doze. This has progressed to no sleeps, just a doze, the odd doze and now I’m working with just stopping - with 5-10 mins of just closing my eyes.

You’re the boss. You try things and go with what works. Ultimately, rest is best and improvements will be evident in time.

Jonty.

Thanks jonty.
I’m getting that. Enjoying my dozing the last couple of days.

1 Like

39 40 next week had TIA December 2022 - still have issues with my left legs mobility - first month or two I had no energy looking to go back to work soon finger crossed

1 Like

Hi, I’m 53 had a TIA around a month ago. I still have fatigue, which at its worst feels pretty unbearable but over all I can mask it well as I can’t let work or family see how bad I feel.

I still get numbness/ feeling weak in my face and hand (weirdly I’m sure I don’t loose any strength though!?!).
I’ve not seen any medical staff since the days it happened. I didn’t recognise what was going on for at least 24hours so it was nearer 48 hours after I took I’ll that I went to GP then they sent me to A&E.
I have never had appointment at TIA clinic so like you I feel there is nowhere to ask what to expect.

Hi, I didn’t take any time off work other than days it happened. I dont get paid sick leave so can’t take time off.

I did try and chase GP but was signposted to practice nurse who told me I shouldn’t have any lasting effects from TIA and I’m on right treatment plan so don’t need seen again.

I don’t feel I need counselling (it’s very close to what I do for work so pretty self aware mentally). I don’t have any outward sings of weakness just the sensation of it so doubt I will get physio either.

@EmaR0se welcome to the forum although sorry you’ve had cause to join us.

I am surprised you haven’t been followed up at a TIA clinic. I would look into this. they need to find out what caused it so it doesn’t hapoen again.

I’m not surprised you are suffering fatigue if you didn’t take time off work. You do need to try and balance work & rest do you don’t make yourself worse.

I would go back to your gp. If you still have affects they should really be investigated.

Best wishes

Ann x

I was surprised by lack of follow up too. A&E and Nurse at gp practice both referred me but then another nurse at GP practice told me that I won’t get seen as I’m on treatment plan.
I had very high blood pressure and high cholesterol so that was reason given as underlying cause for TIA. I had no idea of either of these as generally present as fit and healthy ish (got a stone to loose!)

I’m on meds and BP is coming down.

I will see how it goes and hopefully get back to normal soon.

Take care

It sounds like a referral may have been made. Maybe chase up at the stroke clinic & see where you are in the queue. I would hope that someone is keeping check on your BP & cholesterol at least. I’d still want the numbness checked. Did they do an MRI at a&e or just a CT?

1 Like

I had to drop off a weeks worth of BP readings to my GP practice this week. Not heard back from them yet though.

My uncle in law had a TIA 2 weeks before me and was seen at TIA clinic within 2 weeks. I wouldn’t know who to contact to chase up if I’m going to be seen.

I had a CT scanon night I went to hospital and the next day I went back for neck scan, both clear.

@EmaR0se
Evening.

Just wanted to chip-in with what others have already contributed.

Your account does make for an alarming read!

I had a TIA just before New Year. On the day it happened, it had occurred between 4am and 6am when my alarm sounded. I’d got to see my GP later that day, who asked I get myself to A&E. Root cause was super-high blood pressure which was unbeknown to me. I was taken in and kept in for a week whilst my BP came down and tests done. Following discharge, my stroke doc wanted me to not work, rest and take home BP readings for c. 1 month. He wanted to see if it would come down to avg 140. It plateaued at 125.

I’ve recovered well but not 100% yet. Fatigue seems to get us all. For me, speech was hit and is still a bit odd at times even now. Points are: I had care, things were managed. It’s now mid-April and I’m still recovering. Root cause is work in progress but that’s another chapter.

No lasting effects? Your GP needs to listen harder I think! And what a comparison. Hope the details help. Did they also perform an MRI? I had a CT scan which apparently didn’t show much but the MRI did.

Jonty.