Recovery

Hi my name is Ang after looking after my husband who had cancer and a stroke and because I was very busy and didn’t look after myself very well I also had an ischaemic stroke a couple of weeks ago which completley shook me to the core and as I am grieving my husband it scared the life out of me. I lost my speech but it is coming back quite well but I’m feeling very lost and lonely at the moment. Hopefully my days will get better and not be so emotional. I’m surrounded by my lots of friends during the day but the evenings and nights are very quiet. Hopefully I will get past this :heart::heart:

4 Likes

Hi Ang–You will get past this. If your speech is already coming back somewhat after only a couple of weeks that’s really great! In stroke world, the more you use something, the more proficient you become–as the brain is relearning and rewiring by repetition just as it has always learned things. So, the more you talk the better. In the hospital they gave me homework of paragraphs to read out loud to improve speaking. Intense emotion is typical after a stroke as the area of the brain for emotion is affected. Just go with it. The emotionality gets better too. I had anxiety, so I saw a counselor for a while, and I had a positive mantra I repeated to myself when I felt anxious. I also used CBD oil drops under my tongue so I could sleep at night. (They also have CBD gummy candies.) Night time can get you down. I always put comedy shows on TV and ended the evening with something really funny, so I was laughing out loud by the time i went to bed. I’ll remember you in my prayers tonite. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

3 Likes

Welcome Angela. What a terrible situation to be in. Stroke is devastating and the first few months of recovery are the worst. Fear kicks in and is made worse with no one to distract you. Please try to ensure you get some support because there are two of you in poor health. Is it worth talking to your gp about this or trying to arrange some counselling? I am six years post stroke but am still partly disabled. I also have negative days when I need cheering up. I stay mostly positive but I’m getting older and tetchier too. Please free to ask about anything that troubles you or just let off steam

2 Likes

Hi Angela,
How tough on you. Looking after your hubbie and then a stroke while grieving. I am not surprised you are feeling emotional. It is very short time since you had the stroke and people do get very emotional post stroke, put everything on top and it would be really hard not to feel down and scared. I would also chat to your doc as you may need some extra help to make this stage bearable. Great telephone service from stroke org, where someone could call in an evening just to chat. Have a look at this link and phone service Feeling isolated? We've got some communication tips | My Stroke Guide. I hope you keep posting as it will really help and the people on here are lovely. My thoughts are with you.
Amanda

@Angela77 hi Ang, so sorry to hear about everything you’ve been through. It must be a really difficult time for you. Pleased that you have reached out on this forum as there is so much support on here. There is a lot of good advice above so I won’t repeat it but just know we are all here to listen and support if you want/need it. Sending hugs and best wishes. Xx

1 Like

Gosh @Angela77, dear, life can twist and turn in ways not only unexpected but into sharp relief can present unwanted hardship and pain. The Stroke Association “Here For You” service is very good for a weekly chat by phone for half an hour to a volunteer or fellow stroke survivor. They call you. It will go initially for eight weeks, and then you can request a follow-up eight weeks. It’s nice to have a phone call out of the blue, and an empathetic chat of an evening. If you like games like chess , there’s an online game which will match you with a real player, I play this with my cousin at night. I think Samaritans is 24/7, and you can call them and speak openly with a volunteer (calls are free). There’s this forum, of course, I check in late at night because I am a night owl. Others may do so also. When I am up late, I usually listen to a podcast or a David Attenborough documentary. Dynasties is very good, it’s relaxing and distracts the mind by associating oneself to the animal kingdom, instead of the “rat race”, so to speak.

1 Like

Good morning @Angela77. It’s good to hear you have friends around you, this is so much for you to deal with. I am so sorry. This is really early in your stroke recovery, the fact you already have improvement is a great sign. It is a lonely place, made all the more acute because you are grieving. You are amongst others being on this forum who can understand the stroke implications, which is no small thing. As others have suggested maybe speak to your GP if you feel you are struggling. Wishing you the will to get through this :heart: Julia

2 Likes

Hi Rups,
Hope your doing ok. As usual the bringer of great advice. I think we have all been very moved by Angela’s post.
Amanda

Hi Angela,

This forum really has been a comfort to me as others share their stories about stroke and the challenges they have faced and have overcome.
Check in here often for support and inspiration and don’t give up. You have endured so much more than I can imagine, but clearly you remain positive and hopeful.

Your story is truly one of triumph!

1 Like

Thank you all so very much for your very kind words it means a lot. I was feeling really sorry for myself when I wrote the first time, but I am coming to grips with it now. My speech is returning nearly as good and my face is not so crooked now. I can’t talk to my doctor as you have suggested because we are in that part of the country which takes at least a month to get an appointment and that is just on the phone and I don’t even know who my doctor is, but I won’t bore you with all the details. I’m feeling a lot better but having given up smoking and hrt it is making me emotional well I put it down to that. There are a lot worse people off than myself and I can honestly say I’m lucky when I hear other stories.
But I’m here and I’m one of the lucky ones.

1 Like

Hi Angela77 your last posting was positive considering what you’ve been through which is a great sign. We’ve all been through doom and gloom and emotional outbursts still happen now and again. But realising we survived and being grateful is a good tonic. Repeating what others have said ask questions here, have a good rant and rave and let us know how your progressing, we can help with the stumbling blocks we have all met them.Sorry you had to join us here but we’re here for you. Pds

Hi Ang , so sorry to hear that you have lost your husband, and then to have a stroke no wonder you feel lonely.
It is very frightening having a stroke and I kept thinking of the worst things that could happen. Glad that you have friends around during the day. Why don’t you ask them to come round for evening meal. You could get a take away and a little wine.!!!
Take care of yourself, we all know exactly how you are feeling at the moment. love Dolla xx