Recovery

I had a right sided stroke on the 6th June I was left paralysed down left side 4 days later I can lift my leg and hold it for 5 seconds which is encouraging but no movement in my left hand or arm has anyone remained paralysed for a week and then have positive story to tell

1 Like

I had a right side stroke in the 6th March. Lost coordination in my left side. Was in hospital for 2 weeks basically in bed and couldn't walk and struggling to coordination my left hand and leg.I didn't loose movement. Three months later I am walking (5 km) unaided, and feel I can use my left hand normally. I do have some strange feeling in both my arm and leg and can't do things very fast. Things can improve really quickly in the first few months.

In the first few weeks I  couldn't feel my leg and had no spacial awareness of where my left leg and arm were!

Be positive, do the exercises. 

I am exercising each day and even if day to day the improvements are hard to see, look back week on week you will see the improvements.

One thing I have learnt is to be patient, take it day by day but also be determined.

Jane

2 Likes

Dear Lucy

As Jane has suggested, be patient and be determined.

you will be able to get recovery for as long as it takes.

on my 4th day i got up and walked, but i was one of the lucky ones.

Doctor said it was unusual for a patient to walk into his consulting rooms.

so keep wiggling toes, fingers and make whatever movement your limbs can manage. You brain needs you to remind it that it has all four limbs and indeed your whole body to deal with.

legs often work before arms as legs are, for the brain, simpler.

your limbs are not damaged, its just the messaging system that has gone in to hibernation.

your brain is currently trying to get limbs to move. It is also repairing the damaged part of your brain. There is pronably a dead bit in your brain, and it is working out ways to get around the dead bits. This is called neuroplasticity. Your brain will work on this for about two years, if necessary.

i was 90% paralysed. But i got most things working within three months.

and as i say, i walked on day four. Well staggered, but i was up and moving.

my mantra is.....

be positive

smile, smile then smile again

lots of us are here cheering you on.

i was able to drive in a few weeks. I grow veg and fruit in my garden.

i do a small voluntary clerical job for five hours a month. I made tea and coffee and waited on tables. Before covid came along.

its a long slow journey. Please do not let depression get at you. It will slow your recovery a lot.

I was 68 years old. If you are younger you can recover more quickly.

very very brst wishes

colin

I have a question to the stroke survivors out there.  It's been 2 1/2 years since my stroke.  I still feel a little fuzzy-headed most of the time.  It hasn't hampered my activities, but it's annoying.  Anyone else?  Will my brain ever clear?wink Lucycrowe,  Ditto what the others said about physical recovery.   I was also completely paralysed on my left side for at least a week.  I remember the delight when my left thumb twitched for the first time.  Then slowly, and with occupational and  physical therapy, my movement and strength slowly built.  I would exercise as best I could every day and walk a few steps.  It was slow and hard, but now I walk 1 1/4 miles a day and play the ukelele and piano.  I'm 2 1/2 years out now and am still noticing improvement.  The key is to keep moving.  I make myself do things with my left hand (not my dominant hand) that I used to do with my right hand  just to strenthen it.  Colin is right, don't let depression get to you.  We've all felt it. You have to fight it. See a counselor if necessary.  I did for a few visits.  It helped.  You WILL get better.  Work hard at it.  Watch a lot of funny movies or tv shows, and laugh alot.  It loosens you up and promotes healing.  You're not alone.  We've all been there.  Love, Jeanne

1 Like

Lovely reply to the other members.

the post stroke fatigue, SF for short, is a big deal. It has plagued me for five years and doesnt show much sign of letting go. It eased a fair bit during year three. I then got aortic stenosis, which feels very much like SF. I had the op to replace the aortic valve and, about four months later the fatigue left me. Oh the joy of it. But it didnt last. Is it SF or is it my defective heart. I think its the SF.

I read about long covid and they get very similar thing. I also follow a friend who has severe ME, the chronic fatigue syndrome version. It seems so similar. Some call it brain fog.

my big hope is that, with ME and long covid on the scene then maybe us stroke survivors might benefit from their reaearch.

i typically get a good three hours a day, but if i exert myself beyond three hours the SF lays me very low indeed.

I am 73 and feel more like 83. Maybe its partly old age.

i  now verge on the edge of being unable to cope alone. My wife has to do more than a fair share and i dont travel far. 

so i regret to say that, no my brain has not cleared. 

if i get good sleep,and no stress, then the fog is less.

i think we are the forgotten disabled. 

colin

Thanks for replying, Colin.  I agree, the "brain fog" does get worse if I try to do too much.  I find I do better if I do ten or 15 minutes of something, and then sit, rest  and do a crossword for a while.  Then I do something again.  Oh well.  Must focus on the bright side, right?  Look how far we've come.  I've heard there are days that feel like setbacks or plateaus.  I think the brain is just tired those days.  Then we have our good days and move forward a little. Hope you have a good day today.smiley  Love, Jeanne

At about two years post stroke, i had moved on from good day/bad day. I liked the bad days on the basis that i knew a good day would follow.

i could do two hours activity then i needed an hours rest. I took stroke naps, which were lovely. Deep sleep without any dreams whatsoever. Woke up refreshed.

i can now do three or even four hours activity. But thats not enough to live independently. My wife has just had four days away and i realize i can not manage. Bit of a shock really. The telephone is a real problem. One call easily takes up a big chunk of my activity. How does one explain that to a caller.

I am so bad at crossword puzzles. I cant see words in the right order. Much better with numbers. Tried suduko but i just dont get the point.

my much adored cat has come in to the conservatory and is sitting right by me. I suggest that means rain is coming. Will save me the watering task.

best wishes

colin

You are so kind and that cheered me up I'm 48

This gives me hope starting hea

My stroke was five years ago. I was paralysed for more than a week. I couldn't turn over in bed and had to be hoisted in and out of bed. Now, I can walk with a stick, cook bake, go on short breaks, do a little ironing, clean toilets and a bit more.

I won't add to Colin's advice, only to say that improvement comes but takes time. Please learn patience. You are  should make a good recovery.

Lifting your leg and holding for 5 is encouraging after 4 days. As everyone will tell you everyone is different. I had right sided paralysis. Something that really helped with my recovery was to really concentrate on say your thumb and will it to move, look at your arm and will your wrist to move.....maybe I am wrong but I do think you need to send those messages from the brain that’s still working but in a slightly different way help it find a new route. It’s a long hard battle. I came out of hospital after nearly 4 weeks  I could take a few steps unaided and had very little arm movement. I was 53 - that was 4 .years ago. After lots of physio and hard work and determination I went back at work I have use of my arm and leg - ok I do feel I walk like I am drunk sometimes and my arm and hand are not perfect but they do the vast majority of what I need them to. 

You are very early days try to stay positive and determined, and you will always get advice and encouragement from the wonderful people on this forum !

What good advice Motherbear.

and well written

colin

Thanks how long did your journey take 

Everyone has a different journey - please do not compare yourself with others, anyone can say oh this took me 2 weeks or 2 years - but this is you and you will make your journey at your pace.  

It is a very difficult and scary time for you in the early days and nobody can guarantee how your recovery will go things will unfortunately probably never be the same but as a stroke survivor you have to learn to live with the new you.  There are lots of resources out there to help - lots of things for you to read and try and as everyone says on here lots of advice and support - please keep us updated with your progress- you will be given advice and encouragement along the way - hope you’re doing ok.