Recent episode

Hello any advice appreciated. I’m 49 years old and been told I had a stroke last week as opposed to a TIA as symptoms
Lasted more than 24hours. I don’t smoke, hardly drink and am not overweight. I also exercise regularly . Results of CT aren’t back just MRI to confirm stroke . What should I expect in the next few weeks, what will they want to do and how do I avoid another one? Thank you

@Suze13 hi Suzy welcome to our forum where you will find a wealth of advice combined with experience. I’m sorry you had a stroke too. You should get appointments from the stroke team, depending on how the stoke has affected you. You may get physio and help with swallowing using a powder in your liquids to help. You should be on medication now and you may find your emotions will be all over the place. It’s normal as we all have found this. You can request counselling I found it very useful they gave me strategies and coping mechanisms. There’s lots of topics on the forum where we have shared experiences. If you have the time you could read through some and find you are not alone. We are all here to try and help each other. Sending you best wishes and positive thoughts Loraine :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Suze13 welcome though sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke.

Lorraine @Loshy summed up what will happen over the next few weeks post stroke.

Many of us were what we’d have considered ‘healthy’ pre stroke, so it does seem to strike at random, though the stroke team may discover you have an undiagnosed heart issue such as AF or PFO or some other condition that increased your risk, though if that happens you’ll be offered medical options or medication to help manage the condition.

Sometimes you won’t find an answer as to why it happened.

To reduce the risk of another stroke, keep staying healthy, look at your diet, reduce saturated fats, sugar and salt, keep up with exercising (though depending on what after effects you have you may have to exercise differently), take the medication.

We’re all happy to share our experience and give support.

Stay positive, stay strong wishing you all the best, take care.

1 Like

@Suze13 welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke. I too was 49 when I had my stroke 4 months ago. I was fit and heathy and didn’t drink or smoke. I know the cause of my stroke (carotid artery dissection) but not what caused the dissection and have been told that I was unlucky as it’s normally caused by a trauma which never happened in my case. I agree with what @Loshy & @Mahoney have said about follow ups etc. there’s never any guarantee around having another stroke but in time this worry will lessen. Best of luck with your recovery and I hope you get the answers you need.

Thank you for replying

Thank you for your words

Thank you, just trying to get my head around it all!

Hi @Suze13 , welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve joined our merry band of stroke survivors (as I would rather you hadn’t had one). The good thing is you will find lots of useful information here.
I wish you all the best with your recovery.
It will take you some time to come to terms with what has happened but there are loads of people on here that will have had similar experiences so can help with most questions. Everyone will have their own unique set of symptoms but there are many common aspects as well. I found it really helpful just reading through lots of the posts.Feel free to ask any questions and I’m sure you’ll get helpful advice.
All the best, Mark

Welcome Suze, sorry about your stroke, every stroke is different, it depends on how your stroke has affected you, my stroke affected my walking and left hand especially, but we are all different, I do hope your recovery is going well, it does take time, I was 44 when I had my stroke in July 2017,:been a long journey for me trying to walk again and my left hand. I hope your mobility is better, but I’ve learnt to not compare myself to others. Please keep in touch how your recovery is going, kind regards John

3 Likes

@John04 hello John welcome to our forum of SS. Though I’m very sorry you had your stroke and so young. Great advice. We all try to support each other and I look forward to your chats. Best wishes Loraine :blush:

1 Like

Hi John @John04 welcome, so sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke,

Great advice, every SS journey is different with different challenges, I hope your rehabilitation is going well.

Best wishes, take care

1 Like

Thank you, it’s been a long journey, slow at first, because I had a bleed on my brain and was in a coma for 4 weeks, now I’m still trying to improve, but can walk slowly short distances with my walking pole, I use a pole now as much better for me, helps me stand better, than my walking stick and quad stick. Take care. John

1 Like

@John04 i wish you lots of improvement and a sunny weekend. Keep going and well done on how far you have come already. Best wishes Loraine :blush:

Thank you Loraine for kind words, I’m a little new to this page, nice to talk to someone, have a great weekend too, take care John :blush:

1 Like

@John04 sounds like you are making great progress. In time I’m sure you’ll be able to work further & quicker. I’m working on my walking speed & distance. It’s going ok but I’m used to running so would like it to go quicker​:grin: I am learning patience though. Have a good weekend. :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Thank you, I can walk to my local shop, I and don’t mind walking, I’m getting a little quicker. I’m trying to not compare my to what I did before and try to think of my progress, have a great weekend :blush:

2 Likes