Questions About Recovery

As a newly diagnosed stroke survivor I would like to ask about recovery stats.
So what can I expect following a “mild” stroke three months ago?

• I have recovered some mobility (I can walk but not very far).
  • I have still got fatigue problems.
  • I still have concentration issues.
  • I still get problems when trying to absorb information when people talking to me.
    How long does it take to recover the above and resume a normal life?
    Thanks,
    Mark H, 59, London
1 Like

@Mark_H as @Loshy has said there is no set timeframe as it is different for everyone. I can say from my experience that:

1. My fatigue was awful for first 9 months or so. I am now 11 months in & it is better but when it appears it can still knock me off my feet for days.
  2. I can still only walk a short distance but i am not able to lift my leg so drag my foot. Try building up your walking distance slowly.
  3. I am still not able to.concentrate for long periods but it is much improved on where it was. The concentration headaches are much less frequent too. The same applies for absorbing info.

How long it will take is impossible to say as a lot will depend on where you’re starting from (i.e. how badly you were affected), how much time you spend on your rehab exercises etc, your own determination.

My stroke consultant told me that anyone who has had a stroke never recovers 100%. I took that as a challenge to get as close as i could…but not there yet.

Regards

Ann

1 Like

Hi Mark. Recovery after stroke, even a mild one, is quite slow. I think a key thing is to build on where you find yourself at the moment. Extend you walking bit by bit, but rest when you have to. Try not to do too many tasks in a day and break tasks down into stages with rests in between. I had a major stroke nearly seven years ago. At first I was hoisted in and out if bed and couldn’t walk a step. I now walk with a stick, go to exercise classes, cook, bake and I can change a duvet. I try to improve every day, but I’m now 79. Age won’t stop me trying though.

4 Likes

Shwmae @Mark_H, I always think the axiom, how long is a piece of string? befits the recovery time question. Each brain will recover differently due to each brain being wired differently. This involves so many different factors, although we share similar symptoms, we haven’t come from the same mould so to speak.

Three months is only halfway in while the brain is still doing it’s auto-repair. After that, it switches back into manual, and the rest is ongoing rehabilitation.

After discharge, I was battered but determined to get on steady ground by Summer. I had my stroke the September before. Two years later, I am still working on my symptoms. They can be quite acute at times, forcing me to forego an ordinary event like visiting a supermarket. I could walk properly after a year when I finally stopped shuffling with the aid of a cane. I lost my cane in the woods, when I put it down to pick some mushrooms and wobbled off without it. My lack of working memory has meant that I haven’t been able to retrieve it. Luckily, one of my hobbies is making walking sticks.

Fatigue is ever present and requires astute management more than anything else. Fatigue is a result of the other symptoms and not a symptom itself.

I don’t have issues concentrating anymore, but struggle to take in information if it is multifaceted. I need to focus on one thing at a time. I have developed a rather methodical way of approaching things.

Personally, as I age. I was 44 when I had the stroke, I don’t think there is a normal for me. It’s been a weird, painful but also wonderful journey, and it hasn’t ended yet. So, I count my lucky stars, I still can gaze on the stars.

Hope you are thinking positive affirmations and keeping brave throughout.

1 Like

Morning @Mark_H and welcome. I’m sorry to learn you are here but others have already given good advice. Recovery and progress creep so slowly that it is often easy not to see it taking place. There can be land mark moments but just because you don’t have them everyday don’t assume that things are not progressing. It’s as frustrating as hell but do everything you can to keep informed, keep learning and in effect reprogramming.
As others suggest the “when will normal life return” question is a bit of a tricky one. The reality is this is a life changing event which is different for all of us, the only true thing to say is that life goes on and we owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to make the most of every day. All the best Julia

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply John_Jeff_Maynard

Hi Mark

We are all different and i can only comment on my recovery.

I had my stroke 3 years ago, at 58 classed as moderate to serious

My concentration is a lot better than it was but not as prior to stroke.

I still have difficulty getting the correct words out particularly when under pressure. That said I am back I full time work as an electrical design engineer so it cannot be too bad.

Physically apart from my balance my working is as good as it was prior to stroke although I fall regular when on rough ground an are unable to use ladders all which are balance problems.

Hope your recovery goes well you will be a lot better this time next year

Steve