Post stroke illnessess

hi everyone. I had my stroke in November 2020,life’s been a struggle since. I have mobility so do go for daily walks, sometimes a couple of miles per day. I had a heart attack January 2021, then in April 2021 2 possible TIA’S in October 2021 I had a massive seizure I was hospitalized overnight. I know strokes are different for everyone, but it would have been good to know of possible health issues post stroke. I have left arm weakness, gp treated it as a frozen shoulder and referred me for physio , they suggested it’s muscle weakness, it means as my left arm does not raise up, I cannot wash m upper body on my own, local council offered to send someone round everyday to wash me, but that’s more of my independence gone. I also lost my job too, as not being fit enough to do the job. I have had social care involved and they recommended I have a wet room installed, but means testing means I can’t have it done , I am at a despair Anyone else had similar issues. apologies for a long winded topic, currently recovering from a hole in the heart closure procedure

Hi all
forgot to mention the possible TIA’S were diagnosed as post stroke seizures on medication for this for life

@chris67 wow, sounds like you’ve been through plenty. No wonder you’re feeling despair. Have you applied for PIP or Attendance Allowance (not sure how old you are so not sure which applies). That might help with costs of fitting a wet room. It’s easy for people to say pay for it yourself but that’s not always possible.
I had issues with my shoulder due to not being able to use my affected arm. Physio gave me exercises to do which helped but the biggest help to me was being given a shoulder pulley to try. Used it every day for couple of weeks & I now have full range of movement. Could be worth a try.

Look after yourself x

1 Like

Evening @chris67. Please do not apologise. We are all human and you have had stuff piled on top of stuff. Your emotional basket is very full and it doesn’t help us see clearly. Sorry I can’t offer any practical advice but I hope someone can. Things will ease and you will find a way through this. Use this forum to keep talking, Julia x

1 Like

Welcome to the group. You job centre might have a disabled support worker which will adviced you to what help there is. Also get in touch with adult social care services or CAB there can offer good support data with kind regards des

1 Like

thank you all. I have applied for PIP declined twice, currently on ESA. but wet room is means tested by my local council, although not many other councils in London boroughs do means testing

Hi chris
I’m new to this forum, but I seem to have had similar symptoms, basically a year of various painful ailments. Recently the pain’s gone be there are still issues, like my legs don’t work properly and vertigo. No one warned me about all this. The info I was given at the start was practically zero.
Sorry to hear you lost your job, mind you, retirement was the best career move I ever made. See how it pans out, you might end up better off, you never know.
Good luck

1 Like

@Chaos welcome to the forum. Hope you find it as useful as I have done, regards
Ann

1 Like