Post Stroke Fatigue

Hello all

I'm constantly exhausted - even after being diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, and now receiving treatment with a CPAP machine.  The Sleep Clinic told me that the OSA possibly contibuted to my Stroke, rasing my Blood Pressure and making my heart work much harder.   I've been determined to help raise my fitness level, as well as decrease my chances of another Stroke, by attending dance exercise classes (I LOVE dance) a few times per week, together with undertaking an NHS weight loss programme.  I've lost a Stone in weight and reduced my waist measurement.   All good!   But I'm STILL EXHAUSTED!    It's 19 months since my Stroke.   The Sleep Clinic told me I would start to feel better after using my CPAP (Constant Positive Airways Pressure) machine, but 4 months on,  I'm as exhausted as I was after my Stroke.  I often find it hard to get out of bed on a morning, & fall asleep very easily after an exercise class, or just going shopping.  The sheer exchaustion & inability to do my own housework, remember things, and so on, often leaves me feeling low, despite me having a fairly positive outlook - it just seems to 'overtake' the positivity...  

Does anyone have any advice?   And how long does it take for the fatigue to improve?    

Thank you!

Susie smiley

Read through some more comments in this Forum section. You will see lots of shared stories, which show there is no straightforward answer. I got a CPAP machine a six months before my TIA, and relieved that I did. After my mini-stroke the Consultant told me that without the machine it was more than likely I would have had a full stroke, heart attack or worse!

Four and a bit years on, and I still feel fatigued at times. Mentally tired, that is, not physically. The mental weariness, though, holds me back from doing enough exercise - I'm just too weary to talk myself out of the sofa, even though I know I should. Vicious circle, as I know the exercise can counter the fatigue, bizarrely.

Try to keep positive, hard that may seem. You will have good and bad days, but remember you are not alone in feeling down at times. Be honest with people around you, ask for help when you need it and accept those offers of support.

Keep positive, and return to this Forum every now and again. There are some terrific personal, inspiring stories in here. Quite humbling.

Funny im seeing my gp monday as been having panic attacks and aniexty sleep or lack of it since strokes last june

Hi. I am 2 months post stroke and am really impressed with what you are doing Susie despite your fatigue. I have been so surprised at how tired I have felt. My GP doesn’t seem to ‘ get it’ that I may look ok and sound ok but everything now is a real effort,  and she is keen that I consider going back to work next month....I’m a Community Psychiatric Nurse, I think I would manage a couple of hours at the rate I’m going! 

You are giving me inspiration to keep going and I’m learning a whole new pace for life and myself. I want to aim to enjoy life and be able to do some exercise without the thought of it tiring me out before I even get off the sofa! 

They say keep going and be proud of the little achievements, so maybe you need to keep that in mind.

Good luck

Lorna 

Hi Susie, I am two and a half years post stroke and still get fatigue. I can get up fairly easily, but at 11am every day the fatigue sets in. The last advice I had was to restrict rest to one hour a day. That’s what I do. After that I can last to 11.30pm. All I can say is listen to your body and don’t fight it. Over time, I have been able to do more housework, cooking etc., but nothing like the amount I did previously. I also cannot do these things at the same speed as I did before. However, I keep positive and try to improve further every day.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, John - much appreciated!   I'll do as you suggest & listen to my body - and stay positive, too!   smiley  I reckon that's always important!  

Thanks for your lovely response, Lorna!  It's very much appreciated as it's good to hear how others are coping, as well as knowing I'm not alone with this.  I will most certainly keep in mind to keep going and be proud of little achievements - I know I do forget to recognise my own achievements and instead focus on, and become frustrated with, what I can't do!!!   I'm the same - I look OK until I reach the point of total exhaustion, and few people do understand how absolutely drained I become.   Oh my goodness, how challenging for you to have a doctor encouraging you to go back to work, when you KNOW yourself far better than she does, that you could only manage a couple of hours.   Well done for what you are managing to do.   All the best to you!!!   smileyheart  Keep on keeping on!!   I'm with you!!  heart 

Gosh, I'm so sorry about that, David.  I do hope your GP was able to help.   Let me know.  All the best and thanks for responding to me.   smiley  

Thanks so much for your great reply, Adrian.   Much appreciated!  I will check out the stories on the Forum.   smiley heart