Possibe causes

Hello All,
I am not a whinger, I’m curious. I had a stroke on Boxing Day 2004, then hit by another on Boxing Day last year. I have also had encephalitis four years ago. What caps it all is this, my ex wife has just contacted me, I’m sixty five, she is seventy five, she has just returned from America after a one month holiday, good luck to her, I’m not envious but why me?
I am now housebound and the pain is too much, left arm and shoulder and legs, I had problems with things before the stroke due to the encephalitis but I managed. I now have carers for household things shopping and house cleaning, I can’t even change a bed. I personally feel the time given to me for physio was not long enough but I had what the NHS give you. But on the whole I am more than satisfied about what they have done, sorry to drone on, back to my original question, leg and shoulder pain, any ideas please? Thank you.

1 Like

Shwmae @tony1, gosh, sorry to hear you had encephalitis, I looked it up and it doesn’t sound pleasant. After having a stroke, my world shrunk, this was not necessarily a negative for me as the hubbub of everyday life was unappealing. So, I created a sort micro-environment for myself with hobbies and projects that were as good as any activity others without my impediment were experiencing. Is your leg and shoulder pain nerve related?

Thank you for a kind reply, the stroke coupled with enceph, but I’m not a whinger, things are what they are. But I would do anything to reduce the shoulder and arm pain. 24 hours, meds don’t help but would the pain be worse without? I’ll sit it out, housebound now anyway. Thanks again, take care.

1 Like

Hello All, things are getting a bit easier but from being alert and with it things are different, Time will tell, now I’m housebound I get time to try and work out what I can do, just one question please, I have relied on Meals on Wheels for nearly twelve months but this morning I made myself a cooked break

Thanks for the kind replies, sleep also an issue. As time goes on things are getting gradually easier. I am back to two handed typing now. Although I can’t get out of the house yet I am planning to.
Thanks again, Tony Walker

Hello All,
It’s been a year now. Four months hospital and I’m almost housebound. Carried out all the requests from carers and physio team and I expected better results. I’m stuck with it but I’m told I’ve made good process. I was always active mind wise so this a big change. It’s hard adapting and once or twice I considered the “easy way out” but comments like this are not good on this site! Reading is now a nono as is watching tv. Just no powers of concentration, I struggle to cook, I’m now on my own but that was on the cards anyway. So thats it! Carers four times a day, but apparently you can book a few hours and they will take you out. I do need to get out, for my own sanity more than anything else. Thanks for reading anyone. Tony Walker

1 Like

Hello All,
damned cold, don’t go out unless you have to. Hope you are all well, I’m not, decided after twelve months I’ve had enough, I now need everything doing for me as I have dementia as well. I used to have a very active life. Now I’m stuck in a chair all day, Managed to get out yesterday and lost my shopping, before you all fall about laughing there was a leg of lamb, 28 quid! I’m fuming. Back to take outs. Tell me please, do things get any easier. I don’t have anybody except some cranially deficient people who call to make me a drink. 12 months (Boxing Day) last year. Did the physio etc and then I’m told things probably wont improve. Anyway, thank you for reading, take care.
Tony Walker (UK)

Hello and thank you for all your kind feedback, never been a whinger, it is what it is. I’ve found out there are people with worse issues than I have. So, a new year is edging in, I’ll drink it in and probably regret it, but I’m not starting a trend, alcohol is not the answer but at the time it’s good. The dementia is secondary, I just about cope with that, but I could have done without the stroke. Happy new year all of you, let’s stick it out, I just take things a lot slower, cheers all, xx

1 Like