Pain and tingling sensation in back of head

I suffered my stroke 5 weeks ago today. The stroke occurred in right side of brain stem. This has left me with vertigo like symptoms, feeling worse in the morning or when  I have done too much. I have tingling sensations at base and top of head at back which seems worse. Does anyone else suffer this feeling? It is all very frightening and I am still trying to come to terms with what has happened. I know it is very early days yet. The fear of having another stroke is overwhelming.

Hi there. You are in very early days post stroke and, like many of us, you fear another stroke. This feeling fades with time, but has to be endured. Tingling sensations are also not unusual. I am two years post stroke and still get odd sensations on the back of my head on my weak side. I interpret this as the brain still retiring itself. Unsteadiness is also quite common. Like all of us, you are probably trying to do too much. I can manage three to four tasks in a day. If I do more than that I feel exhausted. It is also good to break tasks down into stages, with time for rest in between. Good luck with your recovery.

Hi Jenny

I'm really sorry to hear about your stroke - as John has mentioned below you are still in the very early stages of your recovery. The most recovery after stroke tends to happen within the first few weeks and months, but you might still make progress for a long time after your stroke although it may be slower. 

The tingling sensation at the base and top of your head may be there due to the damage that has been caused to your nervous system - are you receiving any rehabiliation? If not, it may be worth a trip to your doctors to see if you can be referred to some to ease your symptoms.

Again, as John has mentioned the fear of having another stroke will ease, but it is very important not to put pressure on yourself. You will be feeling very tired right now, and post stroke fatigue is normal, so please do have as much rest as you need and sleep as much as your body is telling you it needs.

If you need any further support, you could contact the stroke helpline on 0303 3033 100 or email info@stroke.org.uk

Take care

Vicki 

I too have tingling at the back of my head on the left side plus NUM cheek, jaw an teeth, pain in hip and foot at rest or with over use, hurts to walk on it, a real shame. This has been with me since the start of recovery 27 months ago, degrees of being better or worse , good luck hope you improve