Out of something bad

Hello all. My name is Chris. I am 62. I am a retired teacher. I present shows on a community radio station. It was whilst I was presenting a show, something felt wrong.

I felt very thirsty. I got up and wobbled. Thought nothing of it. Got myself a glass of water and took a sip. I thought I was drinking bleach. I spat it out immediately. Over the next few hours, I was aware that I was having trouble saying my words. I got up on occasions, and on each occasion, I wobbled again, then fell. I still thought nothing of it and somehow drove home. After the fourth fall, I began to think there might be a problem. I phoned 111. Very soon, an ambulance turned up. They ran some tests and then said 'we recommend you go into hospital; we can take you right now'. 'Why?' I asked. 'It looks like you've had a stroke.' Are you sure?' I asked. 'The signs are there' came the reply.

Fast forward a couple of hours, I found myself in a hospital 35 miles from my home, where the diagnosis was confirmed. So, I was admiited. 

I live on my own, so only had a few visitors. When visiting time came around, I just used to take the time to think; I never really had time to think normally. I wrote down random jottings and thoughts about my experience with a stroke and being hospitalised. I was jotting thoughts down all the time. I'm like that!

One day, I was sat up in bed, scribbling away. A guy in the ward said 'everytime I see you mate, you're writing . Are you writing a book?'

Fat forward, another two years, and I have just had my first book published. It is called 'A Stroke of Luck or a beginners guide to being hospitalised and what you can reasonably expect.' It is published by Austin Macauley publishers and is available on most retail outlets on line priced at £9.99

I think it is a good read. Others have liked it too. It is funny and factual. I draw it to your attention and if you get a chance to read it, I would love your feedback. Although primarily related to my stroke, I think it is of value to anyone who finds themselves hospitalised.

So, there we are. I am now fully recovered. From the bad time of the diagnosis, to being fully recovered, I have achieved something good of which I am proud. Do not give up on things, and I hope that you have enjoyed reading this post. Best wishes to you all. Chris

That sounds an interesting read. May I ask you..what was the formal diagnosis, ie the letter from the hospital to your GP ? And secondly, do you remember a fabulous semi final against Liverpool ? I am not a Palace fan but that televised match is remembered by my family. I can even recall we had roast lamb whilst watching. Was that Wright and Bright time ?

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Colin. The formal diagnosis was a TIA, I think it is called, a mini-stroke: one of the many sets of initials I came across in hospital which I talk about in the book!

Oh yes, I remember that match! Ended up 4-3 to Palace! Wright and Bright at their peak! Sweet revenge too far the match we played against Liverpool prior to that FA Cup, which ended up Liverpool 9 Palace 0.  Such is life when being a Palace fan!

I hope I find you well

Best wishes

Chris

hi Chris can you give us th ISBN for your book, or your name as author, I read more than I ever did  pre stroke so would like to check it out. I don't know I am 4 years post stroke and really don't know what fully recovered looks like for me. I am disabled by igt and continue to push for whatever recovery is possible, have you read Jill Bolte Taylor, similar title. My Stroke of insight if I remember rightly. I am similar age to you and was very active leading a small charitable organisation as my work. not retired as such, but had to leave the job. I will be interested to hear your more about experience my hospitalisation was some time ago now and I was fortunate to receive good care, though A and É was a bit chaotic and slow whi h may have contributed to the significant damage that I sustained, It may not have been so extensive  had it been got quicker. I will never know and I don't dwell on it. after care was superb for me. I know others have not had same experience.  but I did get a lot of help.  I am  discharged now from all local recovery support but left with plenty to be getting on with. I have a very supportive family around me also which I count myself very fortunate to have.

hope you have a great Christmas 

best wishes 

Tony