OT visit

Hi all,

Although we haven't had a discharge date for my husband yet, the OT will be visiting our home on Friday. Can anyone let me know what I should expect please? and also, what questions I should be asking? 

Thank you so much.

Sorry I can't answer your query, I've not had any experience of OT visits,  but if you look on 'My support area' on the home page ( click on the house shape at the top of the page) you should find a telephone number for your local stroke association who should be able to answer your questions. Others on the site may be able to help as well. It may be an idea to have someone else there with you for the visit, I think it may be a lot to take in if you're on your own.
Hope your husband is recovering well and that the visit goes well.

Ann

The ot who looked after me at home was a wonderful help - they are there to help overcome all the things that your husband will hope to manage with when he comes home. The ot will look at what equipment your husband may need in the home and when he is discharged the ot will be able to suggest ways to exercise and manage things - they are a valuable source of help do not worry about the visit.

Hi there

The OT home visit will be to assess your home currently and to see what changes will need to be made eg Front door access into your home, handrails for both sides of the stairs, where grab rails may need to be placed and assess washing and cooking areas and likely aids or help required.

Our OTs were really helpful and supportive. They also indicated where everything should be fitted - marking x on the wall as I had to arrange all of our aids privately in lockdown in March. Hopefully you'll be able to have them fitted via the NHS if not Amazon had most items but the OT will guide you through - you're not alone even though it feels daunting.

Have a notebook to hand and hope all goes well ?

Dear JP

I think the visit is really to help the medics decide whether or not his home is suitable for him to return to. And of course you are the most important part of that.

i agree with the earlier replies to you.

notebook is a good idea.

colin.

The ot visits to look at the accommodation and what aids are needed for your husband to come home safely. In my case, Age UK put in an extra stair rail with hand grips at the bottom and top. They also put a seat in the shower. The ot also arrange for a sofa to be heightened, a walking stick, a commode (not needed in my case as we have a downstairs loo). The ot also looked at the bed I had to use downstairs for three weeks and any potential hazards. I assume what is looked at depends on the accommodation you have.

After that I had six weeks ot and physiotherapy support at home. This was done to help me cope in the kitchen and to strengthen my arms and legs. I was helped to get upstairs and how to get in and out of the shower. The house alterations were free. I also had a metal trolley to put food and drink on so I could push it into another room as I could not , and still cannot, carry a tray.

These might shape some questions for you, but I am sure the ot will explain everything to you. The early days st home are quite difficult. If your husband is like me he will try do do things even if you tell him not to. Also be prepared to give him a bit of tough love if you think he could do something but doesn't try.

Good luck. I am sure you want him home and he will be much happier there.

Good morning! Yes, John explained everything. The OT will visit on his/her own first and based on my experience they will make another visit with the patient to assess his/her ability to cope at home.Once all the equipments the OT believes the patient will need are installed/in place then the patient will be given a green light to go home. My husband and I found it a very helpful and positive experience. They assessed me in the hospital - if I can walk up and down the stairs, can I make a cup of tea and prepare my own meal if needed. If I can deal with my own personal hygiene and during their home visit decided what equipments I will need. My husband and I were very impressed and reassured how thorough and efficient they were. It gave us huge confidence.

Best of luck with the home visit. Ask any and every question you want to ask. The  OTs and PTs are there to help. Something to look forward to but also be patient. ☺

Comprehensive replies!!  You say you don't have a discharge date as yet, I would suggest having everything in place before your husband comes home, as support may be patchy once he leaves hospital.  I had to chase up a few things, even though we had fairly good support initially.  I just think in the current Covid circumstances you may need to be a bit "pushy" to achieve the best outcomes for your husband.  Very best of luck and hope evrything goes smoothly.

Take good care xx

Thank you all for your helpful responses! :) xx

OT visit was very helpful for me.  I was out of hospital quickly as treated very quickly and thoroughly in big London hospital, and came from a position as young (41 still counts a young I hope) fit and strong.  Although physical aspects of OT were not needed, the kind lady also assessed me mentally (simple maths, spelling, memory etc).  Although I had no baseline to compare, it was clear my short term memory was badly compromised.  Taking that as a positive, there are so many tools available to help an ailing memory (phone reminders and lists etc).  It's important as forgetting things can be soul destroying for patient and family. I don't know whether my memory is now better (3 years later) but i certainly deal with it better - I now have tools in place to help me remember my younger daughter's birthday!

After my brain haemorrhage in June, I had O/Ts visit the house everyday at first then reducing in frequency as I improved over the next few weeks. I particularly appreciated the practical tips on how to get used to only having one functioning side. i.e. how to fasten a bra with working hand. I was given devices too, such as a chopping board with a spike to hold still whatever you're chopping, and cutlery with chunky handles.  I miss the O/Ts visits as I formed lovely relationships with them, but I'm grateful to have recovered enough not to need the help anymore. 

been 2 years since wife had stroke ,after leaving hospital we had appox 10 x 20 minute physio sessions then it ended and had no more for 18 months,other people i have spoken to have said you get 6months sort of after care then it all stops,is this usual for the uk. we are in devon

I have been extremely lucky and have had home physio visits for nearly two years and only stopped because of Covid.  Certainly miss it.

I had a month of daily visits, then two weeks Monday to Friday. After that I was referred back to my rehab hospital for physio once a week. This lasted for two years. I live in Worcestershire and think we are quite lucky here.