Old age or survivors ,brick wall?

I am 87yrs had an active life was independent, played table tennis twice weekly,enjoyed travelling the world and kept mentally fit, smoked but did not drink.Two years ago had my stroke and until lately progress was very good. The Covid rules have meant no physiotherapy clinic or meetings with local groups and limited to walking around my garden.I try to exercise and walk with a stick but my legs feel  weak and I need to sit suddenly. Feel so frustrated as if I am not progressing but regressing is   due to old age or the brick wall other people have suffered from. Have purchased a walker with a seat and after venturing out feel more positive but  must admit it does get hard.Any  other old or ancient survivors experiences comments etc.Even a good laugh would be welcome

You are not on your own I am 81 and before stroke I was as fit as a fiddle did keep fit yoga  swam and walked miles in the park. Then crash it all came to an end. I cant  cope having to sit down between the jobs I can do which arnt very much my husband does it all for me which is very frustrating but we will fight on wont we. Sorry I cant make you laugh  but there is not a lot to laugh about these days. Keep smiling . Best wishes t you Norma.

In my experience, recovery is slow slow slow. Rarely did i see any improvement day to day, but I kept a diary and that showed me i was recovering. 
I also refer back to the comments and diagnosis on my discharge letter. 
we do need third party help. This corona thing is a disaster for recent stroke victims. My yoga teacher talked about online sessions. 

i found two years was a significant milestone. 

possibly its about this time when the brain has finished its efforts to work around the damage. Which means we need to put the effort in ourselves.

i am indeed vintage if not veteran. But this year i have truly progressed and i am a lot stronger. 

without the stroke i would have probably lost a lot of mobility if i wasnt able to move freely. So yes thats old age setting in.

But tonight i admired the blue sky, watched the sun slide over the horizon and i reflected that i had dug the compost heap, shredded lots of prunings, put the car on the charger and generally tidied around. No way could i have done that last year. The faigue has gone. I am not who i was before stroke. But i am a new person.

things do get better. Lots better.

please smile a lot

be positive

lots of us are here for you

Colin

Hi Sonia. I'm younger than you (68) but I just wanted to let you know that some physios are now back working albeit they tend to be private ones. I go twice a week to a rehab gym which has a physio based there who has been working for about a month.  The reason I mention this is our eldest gentleman at the gym is 83 and he goes 3 times weekly.  He also had a massive stroke but you wouldn't think it if you saw him working out.  Don't feel that they will all be dolly birds in leotards - trust me we aren't!  In fact, some days it looks like a scene from the film 'Cocoon' LOL! 

The fact that you were so very fit pre-stroke will help you build up your stamina too. I also hit 'brick walls' sometimes and it is hard.  Do you think you would be interested in going to a rehab gym? There may be one near you.  I had never heard of rehab gyms until I had my stroke so worth a try.  It's good to meet other people who have had strokes and see how they have progressed and also others less fortunate who are in wheelchairs following car crashes etc. They are truly inspiring. Keep your chin up.

Sonia, I am a mere 76, but can see that old age has to be taken into account regarding progress. My big one was nearly 5 years ago, but have come a long way since. In fact, talking to an old friend this morning who visited early on, we both agreed how far I have progressed. I can know do much of what I used to do pre stroke, although walking and tiredness are still challenges I have to face.

Up until lockdown, I was going to three exercise classes a week, but these stopped overnight. I continued to exercise every day, but nothing can replace the camaraderie of exercising with others.  Fortunately, my classes have resumed and I can already feel the benefit of a whole hour's exercise for active seniors.

As for humour, I laugh all the time and have other old codger friends who do the same. For example, an old friend of mine has had to have a second breast removed due to cancer. She sent me an email yesterday headed 'Titless in Devon'. She is a feisty old thing.

So fight on, Sonia, fight on!

Thank you John my physio classes have stopped due to  Covid but at present am waiting for Xrays on spine and another lot of pills for high BP. Still treading around garden admiring the flowers and the bees are very busy  So grateful to have a garden with kind neighbours to chat with over the fence.I like your friend who sounds cheerful despite her illness give her my love and best wishes. Sonia

Thank you I am glad that some gyms and rehab centres are open but not safe in this area .I will be back to my local as soon as possible  but am having back trouble so waiting for X-Rays etc. I appreciate all your replies and wish you luck.Sonia

Thanks Colin I appreciate your kind words and like you I look at my progress  and know I have done OK and feel good  most days.I think gloom and doom pay me a visit to remind me to think positive to get up GO stop moaning and laugh at life and some antics required to learning how dress oneself especially pulling up pants.We survivors have to keep a sense of humour about these little battles!

Thanks Norma I am sorry you are feeling a bit frustrated I understand too well  of  not being able to do even small tasks I live alone and depend on my daughter and her weekly visit for shopping and any essential cleaning, I now pay for gardner window cleaners and odd jobs etc. You are lucky to still have a husband to help but realise sometimes we are guilty thinking they don't  do the job as good as ourselves. That's normal  frustration I have discovered several new swear words coming from my mouth  but try to shout them in the shower, just hope .nobody hears!! Keep going Norma one day. at a time  Sonia

Thanks for the reply sonia   I realise  have improved as I do more jobs now but still not enough. My poor husband has just done the ironing that makes me feel really guilty sitting here.I agree the jobs arnt done as i used to do but am more than grateful that they are done for me. We have got no choice but to keep going so thats what we wil do. All the best. Norma.

Hi Sonia, At 61 I am a mere spring chicken compared to you. Up until lockdown I was attending my local leisure centre and using the gym, swimming pool and doing Aquarobics, which built up my stamina levels. After lockdown a former colleague started a Pilates class on Facebook, which I did three or four times a week. I found it really helped my core muscle strength in a way that no other exercises previously had (and you can do it whilst seated).

Experts will tell you that progress does not stop after a couple of years. It continues at a slower pace.  Brain rewiring needs repetition of movement in order to take place, so keep at it. I found lots of useful stuff on YouTube, for people of all abilities. Keep going!!