NHS Moodzone

As many survivors will acknowledge, the mental and emotional challenges following a stroke can be as debilitating and challenging as the physical challenges.

I overcame the emotional challenges with a combination of:

1. Good medical care -antidepressants for the first time in my 43 years;

2. Effective therapy and counselling - as many others will have experienced, it was short-lived and I was soon discharged, unfortunately;

3. Online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT for short) - back in 2010 there was a FREE online service called the Mood Gym, based in Australia. It was effective but became a paid-for service.

I'm writing here about point 3 - it was a good resource and it becoming a paid for service stopped me recommending it to others.

The UK's NHS has not copied the Mood Gym service but has instead now produced an equivalent called the "Mood Zone". It's free of charge and helped me overcome some challenges recently. You can find it at:

Https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/

It features a series of videos that help you tackle any warped thinking that is stopping you from enjoying life and has practical exercises too.

For anyone struggling with their emotions, give it a try - it's free of charge and it has helped me, in combination with good medication.

After a Stroke we all deserve the chance to make the best of the lives we nearly lost, this includes our physicaL and mental wellbeing. Sometimes goals such as walking, talking, working or driving take precedence but a simple goal of "enjoying life" can feel out of grasp.

I hope this can help you as much as it has helped me. I've obviously not been paid to make this recommendation - do give it a try!

Damian