Newly hatched strokee

@Jacksk
I see you are new around here, you must have dug out this post from under all the others. I posted it 11 months ago and it seems such a long time since then. Thank you for liking it. I hope you are doing okay and if you are new on this stroke journey I promise you that if your experience is anything like mine you will be doing all sorts of stuff you might be feeling is impossible right now.
When I came home after 2 months in hospital, I was pretty much stuck downstairs in the house and, with help, in wheelchair or bed. I got myself a second hand laptop computer and most of my activity consisted of reading and posting in this forum, with occasional browsing over the web.
My wife has been incredibly supportive, feeding and watering me, keeping me company and allowing me in the kitchen, where I drive her to distraction doing everything so slowly. She lets me prepare a meal that would have taken 20-30 minutes pre-stroke and now is more like a four hour marathon.
All that aside I have made progress in the year since IT happened. I bought a rollator and began to walk with its aid, gradually I progressed to walking stick and now I can ‘walk’ unaided, though I do look like someone aboard a ship in a very rough sea. With an expression of panic on my face I puff and I pant and I groan but I can take three or four steps across the room.I still use the stick but I am working on my mobility. I even get up our staircase, something I would not have dreamed possible when I first came home.
I have made friends here on this forum who have kept me company in my ups and downs over the last months. I have seen them progress and cheer them for their efforts. I am certain we still have more good things to discover and to share.
You will find this a good place to learn what your possibilities are. You will find out what others have achieved and get inspiration for what you yourself might be able to do. I am far more pleased with my progress than I thought possible and I see that there is much to be done yet.

Keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

I see from one of your posts elsewhere that you are a carer. I wrote thinking you had a stroke like me. I think most of what I wrote is relevant anyhow.
Your partner needs and appreciates what you do. It is a traumatic experience for both of you and if talking about it here will help you might find support, a listening ear and sympathy. Perhaps some useful suggestions and insights too. We help and understand one another as best we can. Reading what others have to say can be a great help in coming to terms with all this.
Be assured there is a place for you both here.
All the best to you and your other half.

1 Like