Newly hatched strokee

Hello, I am new to all this, having experienced a stroke almost 3 months ago. I’m 75 years old and have had a lifetime of experiences.
I’m home now after two months in hospital where the low moments were catching norovirus and having to spend some weeks in isolation. There were good times too, the staff were helpful and physiotherapy gave a feeling of making progress and taught me some very useful techniques.

I experienced a severe weakness to my right arm and leg, which I have been encouraged to work on and improve. I very much miss having a pair of viable hands and legs, you don’t realise how vital they are to normal function, but with physio help I’m slowly achieving some progress. Right now I spend a lot of my time in a wheelchair.

My speach and cognitive centres were unaffected as the ‘blockage’ occurred on the left side of my brain. I have always been talkative but unfortunately sometimes don’t know when it is time to ‘shut up’.

In hospital I saw how different the effects of stroke can be for each individual. One thing is sure, it is a struggle whatever the effects. We are not alone, our nearest and dearest endure that struggle with us. Sometimes what is happening is mystifying, it is easy to be overwhelmed, but with help and interaction with others, be they fellow patients, visitors, staff, it is possible, with an effort to rise above all this.

As I begin my dealings with the stroke, I wish all who read here well and that the future might be bright.
I wrote this up at home on a laptop computer as I wait for my carers to come to give me a wash.

4 Likes

Hello Bobbi and welcome

Thank you for your best wishes. I have found that life post stroke can have bright times. For me it has been a learning process - looking at new ways of doing things and also new things that I have never done before. By ‘new things’ I mean activities within my present capabilities. I have just bought a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle - that should keep my mind busy for a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Bobbi welcome to the forum although sorry that you had a stroke. You sound really positive which will help loads with your recovery. This forum is great for sharing experiences & gaining support so please chatter away. Onwards & upwards for you now you’re home & don’t let the more difficult days detract from the great progress you’ll have made.
Best of luck k with your recovery & look forward to hearing more about how you’re getting on. Ann xx

@sunnyday

I have just bought a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle - that should keep my mind busy for a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have always loved making jigsaw puzzles but following my stroke I have found concentrating on them really difficult & after 10 mins of trying get bad headaches. Today, 6 months after starting the puzzle, I have put the final piece in :blush::blush: picture below.

st

Enjoy making your puzzle :grin::grin:

Ann

5 Likes

Welcome Bobbi. You seem to have a good approach to life. I am older than you but I am still fighting my condition. I am learning to walk again which is challenging to say the least. My thinking skills and memory are good though and I am a positive person. I wish you all the best. Lilian

I too used jigsaws as part of my rehabilitation! I have not done one for a while but I have one ready and waiting for me, when I am ready to focus on it.
I love the picture of yours as I like cats!!
Jigsaws provide all kinds therapy and not just for us stroke survivors. :slight_smile:

@Loopyj I have always loved jigsaws & it has helped with my rehabilitation on a number of levels. I have other jigsaws ready to be made…hopefully the next one won’t take 6 months :rofl:
I love cats :cat2: :heart_eyes_cat: too :blush::blush:

Welcome Bobbi. I had my big stroke when I was 72. I am now nearly 79 and still trying to improve. I have progressed from being hoisted in and out of bed to a wheelchair, then Zimmer frame then stick. I use the stick outdoors, but not indoors. You are in very early days, but already showing improvement and determination to improve more.

As someone has already said, it is a club no one joins willingly. Your path ahead will have good days and bad days, highs and lows. You will have love and support from those around you, but you will also discover some people will not want to accept what stroke is and it’s impact on you. You will also encounter those who say ‘oh you do look well’ and those who think stroke is a bit like flu and you should recover completely.

At my stroke review six months afterwards he said wisely, ‘although you are not yet the person you were remember to be the person you are now’. I found those words most helpful.

3 Likes

Welcome Bobbi, not the kind of club you choose to join but good to have you aboard. Hopefully you’ll find lots of friendly advice and/or people to have a chat with.

Good luck with your recovery :cat:
Mark

Hi Bobbi- Welcome! You’re just at the three-month point, so I’m sure you will experience a lot of progress over the next months. It’s slow and hard work, but the brain does rewire as the brain heals and you reteach it through rehab. Come and visit any time just for small talk or questions about what you’re experiencing, and share with us your progress. My best to you. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

@Bobbi, croeso, and I hope we can help you along your rebuilding journey. You seem to be in good spirits, and this will be invaluable as you recover.

Welcome @Bobbi . I’ve never been that good at jigsaws and the cat tends to knock them about a bit but I have enjoyed doing very small ones with my 4 year old granddaughter. About my level

The joy of sharing with another. Who cares what the level. Simple pleasures are the best.

Talking about which - did you realise it is is the 4th of May 2022 today ??

In true Star Wars style it is time to say:

May the Fourth be with you ! !

2 Likes

Ha Ha --Very good! Well, May the 5th is special in our family. It is Cinco de Mayo, which is independence day in Mexico, but that’s not why it’s special. …May 5th my mother-in-law celebrates her 100th birthday! :grinning: :dizzy: And she still lives alone and is very independent. Jeanne

1 Like

Happy birthday to your mother in law. A remarkable achievement @axnr911 :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

And I just discovered that Star Wars fans celebrate today as Revenge of the Fifth. :crazy_face:

Hi Bobbi so sorry to hear about your stroke. I had mine 18 months ago. I was left with a left sided weakness unable to walk but like you it did not effect my speech or cognition. I can now walk unaided my arm still remains weak but able to use it so much more. I am also back driving.
I still have the odd day when I feel exhausted so I listen to what my body and have a lazy day taking things easy.
Look after yourself and stay positive. Dottie

@Dottie thanks for your message and glad things are working out for you. I hope my future is as bright. All the best. Bob

Hi Bobbi I am sure if you stay positive and work hard at your rehab it will work out for you.
Let us know how you progress. Dottie.