Hi everyone I am new and decided I need to join as I never reach out and keep things to myself I had a tia on holiday and working at a gp surgery I pretty much knew then came home and carried on going to work until I felt ill went to A&E where it just rolled and had carotid endarterectomy surgery a week later. I was told I was very lucky ignoring it I am doing well but feel down the last few days when I should be grateful.

3 Likes

Thank you I have been put on aspirin lanzoprazole and 80mg of Atorvastatin I have realised the last 10 days or so I have dreadful aching in my legs and hips at night and think it’s the statins but think maybe most statins will cause this

2 Likes

I hate chopping and changing like everyone you feel you are in limbo I see Europe has banned statins if that’s true you never know what believe

1 Like

Hi @Jul & welcome to the forum. Sorry you’ve had cause to join us but now you’re here you’re very welcome.

Hope you are getting on ok & making sure you get plenty of rest to give yourself chance to recover.

I am on 80 mg Atorvastatin but don’t have any issues. If they’re causing issues i’d speak to your GP. They might lower the dose or try another tablet. You shouldn’t just put up with it. Do you take your statins at night? Maybe changing when you take them might help but it could just move the aches and pains to a different time of day.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann

1 Like

Thank you yes I take them about 8pm people don’t understand because I am a size 8 but I tell people it doesn’t mean you don’t have high cholesterol so I almost feel it’s informative which is good to tell people when they don’t understand

1 Like

I have that conversation regularly with my husband. He thinks it should be him that has high cholesterol given his love of cheese & pork pie etc. If only it worked that way.

I think you should see your GP for a meds review & hopefully they can find something that doesn’t cause unwanted side effects.

1 Like

I just hear of people having another stroke but now they cleared out the artery in my neck I was hoping I am okay also now I am not having cakes and things I only had surgery two and a half weeks ago so am doing well and the team at the hospital were amazing couldn’t have had better treatment

2 Likes

Having your artery cleared should have removed one of the risks & your meds will help further. You may find now you’ve had the op a lower dose could be sufficient.

Sounds like you’re doing all you can to reduce your risks too so try not to worry about a 2nd stroke. Some people do have them but many more people don’t.

2 Likes

Hi @jul
Welcome
As others said this is a supportive place. Your early in what is often a journey measured in years. I hope your journey is one that is ‘back to normal’ & much faster than typically, but when you need advice or rant or to celebrate progress we’re here
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jul, I’m currently on 80mg Atorvastatin and get terrible pain in my chest through to my back, i beleive it to be pancreatitis pain… the doctor prescribed me 30mg Lansoprazole but it isn’t helping, i will be going back to see the doctor once I have had my next Lipids check with the nurse.

2 Likes

Hi welcome. I had full blown stroke 2 weeks before Xmas and recovery going ok wx a few problems along the way. Take each day as it comes and don’t think of the negatives. Set yourself some achievable goals. At the start I. couldn’t iron , hoover , mop floors etc but am mma aging those now albeit not terribly well but it helps to feel more like the old me. Keep going and don’t be hard on yourself. You will notice small improvements as time goes by. Keep strong. Regards suzywong

2 Likes

Thank you I think after ignoring it initially which was stupid it’s shock setting in belonging to a group you didn’t want to join but a lovely group all the same

3 Likes

Hi Jul and welcome to the forum no one wants join and yet despite that there’s an awful lot of members here :laughing:

I dare say you’ve had a number of shocks to the system, both from the surgery and the after effects of those drugs, as well as the stroke itself and medications for that. Emotionally it’s a bit of a rollercoaster ride…the euphoria is the best bit of it though :wink:

I know in the beginning you are absolutely paranoid about having another stroke. Night time is the worst time for that. I remember lying in bed and ache, pain, twinge or even itch had me fretting. Constantly rationalising them all…
“That twinge was in your left heal for pity’s sake so it’s likely from your recovered ankle break” :roll_eyes:
“No that sharp pain below your left ear is not a blocked artery, you’re not having another stroke! It’s just pain from the ear infection you know you have…remember that?” “And yes I know that’s the side of the brain that was damaged but it’s still only from your ear infection”
“Why’s my hand all tingly and numb?” Am I going to have another stroke?"…“Oh yeh…I’ve been lying on my arm and now it’s gone dead…silly me :blush:”
“And no that itch on your head is not some fluttery bit of blocked vein :confounded: its just an itch, nothing more sinister than that…probably means your hair needs washing though.” :laughing:
And so it goes on and on 'til you eventually stop doing that to yourself in the night :laughing: I used to exasperate myself with my paranoia. Gradually you come to terms with it all and things start settling down on a more even keel. Eventually you’ll even forget from time to time :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

:joy: this has at least made me laugh

2 Likes

Well you’ve got to laugh really haven’t you, they say it’s the best medicine :grin:

1 Like

Sorry to jump on your post Jul, i too am new to this , had a TIA 2, 1/2 weeks ago and still in shock , cant get into my head that 'this isnint the end of my normal.life , reassuring to read that some of my feelings are normal.x

3 Likes

I know I have gone from fighting to get better to when I have done well I swing to can’t be bothered I think this is normal daily emotions I am trying to take each day now and need to get a routine

2 Likes

Also emerald eyes post really made me laugh as certainly in the beginning I get a sharp pain in my head or somewhere and you do think what’s that :joy:

2 Likes

Jul, i feel exactly the same ,i worked long shifts in a busy nursery and feel , hopeless and useless most days , yesterday however woth the help of a little sunshine and a helpful husband i went for a lovely long walk , today however im stuck on sofa wondering what all.my funny feelings are !

2 Likes

I know however I don’t think that so much now I sometimes get the odd light headedness which isn’t pleasant but I have just had a big operation so will take time and my bp has gone from high spikes before to quite low

2 Likes