New to this

Hi.
First timer here
Had a silent stroke in the executive function area, didn’t know but found I was getting depressed, massive fatigue and would forget how to divide etc, not good for someone who worked in finance, only found out months later after a scan for not sleeping properly at night (sorry the word just isn’t coming)… desperate to know if this block on thinking and planning gets better or if there are ways to improve it?

Hi Roger-- There is an app you can download free on your phone or compute called Lumosity. It has mental games that are fun to play and help to train your brain in many different cognitive ways, for speed and memory, too. They ask you questions about where you want to improve. Check all the boxes, so you’ll get more different kinds of games. You’ll get several for free that you can use over and over again. If you want to pay a small monthly fee you’ll have access to more games, but I never found the need to do that. The program keeps track of your improvement, and the games are fun. I’m sure there are other such apps out there, too. Also, remember stroke healing takes time, so don’t get discouraged. The brain does rewire. It’s just like learning a new musical instrument or language. Time and repetition are key. You will improve. I am 3 1/2 years from my stroke event, and I am still improving. My best to you. I will remember you in my prayers. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Hello @Roger1, do you mean a TIA? Silent Strokes generally don’t have symptoms. However, whatever the injury, sorry to hear you’re experiencing this. I had a bilateral multifocal cerebellar infarction in September 2020. As a result of the damage I have problems recognising patterns in things, this means that parsing sentences can be problematic, and very frustrating as I am a writer by trade. I think you will find these things do improve with exercises. The brain has been shocked, there is swelling, and some neurones will be temporarily offline or awaiting other parts of the brain to step in and adjust. You may even find that in other areas you will discover improvement. My short term recall has been impaired but my associative memory has stepped in and my retention has improved significantly. For general cognitive exercises I use Brain HQ, there are free daily brain training activities developed by neurologists.

Hi Rups-- Thanks for the information on Brain HQ. I tried it out and will continue with it. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it will be really helpful for me. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Hi, the brain exercises sound great, will definitely try those out!!
Pretty much anything that might help I will go for!

2 Likes