New to forum

Hi I Mark aged 60. My stroke was in November just 1 month after 60th birthday- great present! I was in kitchen and right leg and arm didn’t feel right - heavy and wobbly. I’m a GP by background and although the alarm bells started to ring I couldn’t believe it might be a stroke. Rang my wife who came home and drove me to Addenbrookes Cambridge which was 20 minutes away. Walked into A&E which was actually empty to say to nurse I’m having a stroke! Within 30 mins in CT which was normal. Got admitted and MRI next day showed a 1cm lacunar infarct on left. Went home with loads of tablets.
I’ve been lucky as nearly three months later all limbs working and tiredness a lot better. Mood low over christmas and being honest found it difficult at times as I look well- and everyone therefore thinks you’re normal - but energy and mood means you’re not!!
Decided to retire properly from NHS role and that’s end of next week with aim to get fitter and enjoy myself as feel very lucky it could have been worse.
I’ve dipped into forum at times and the posts from everyone are really inspiring.

4 Likes

Hello Mark, @seachairs18, welcome to our community. Sorry to hear you’ve joined us, but together we can help each other rebuild our lives after stroke. A lacunar stroke is fairly rare, I am to believe. I am glad to hear you are marching forwards with a ‘can do’ attitude, albeit, having to deal with the darker more introspective worries we all get during those times.

Thanks Loraine We have a similar story at a similar age! I too am walking quite a bit but skiing I’ll probably miss! Good luck in finishing work- it’s a new chapter for me to discover new things!

1 Like

Thanks Rups for your message. Yes how we feel inside is often hard to share. Best wishes Mark

Hi Mark, I had a left lacuna infarct in February 4 years ago. Mainly I have some short term memory loss and stroke fatigue, but also have developed some numbness in my feet recently- not sure why. I also have tinnitus in my left ear which is very intrusive especially when I’m tired. On the whole though I feel I’ve improved a lot and have recently started cooking new dishes for us - something I could not have done a couple of years ago, I couldn’t have followed a recipe properly I don’t think. Wishing you well in your recovery just be prepared for the odd setback now and again, I haven’t found a way of avoiding them yet.

Ann

Ann glad to hear you are improving. Good luck with the recipes. I often do the evening meal in week and I find a great way to switch off listening to podcasts through my ear phones!

Thanks Loshy. You’re doing well with the walking distances.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words

There is no easy answer to anything a stroke leaves you with, one just has to get stuck in and try to regain as much of the old you as possible. There are times when even the simplest of exercises become too difficult to do and fortunately these times are pretty rare for me but they do occur.

Deigh

Thanks Deigh
Best wishes
Mark

Hi Mark I had a thalamic stroke 4 years ago and my right side suffers from tingling clenching of muscles but all sensory stuff. People who saw me right after couldn’t believe I’d had a stroke and I explained all my symptoms but As time went by I just said ‘thank you’. Unfortunately I still have the symptoms but fortunately I had retired.
I
This year I was one of the first to go into the Solway Firth on New Years Day. I have also taken up art - use ‘art’ as trying all different mediums and finding it so relaxing.
Determined to try new things and create new memories. I am 63

Thanks Tricia for sharing your story. Solway Firth must have been invigorating! Good luck with the art.
Best wishes
Mark

Hi All,

I have never posted on here, and to be honest I am not on any social media, so do find this all a little new but here goes and here is my story.

My name is Darren and are 45 years of age, I have a supportive wife with two typical active boys of 4 and 9. I was genuinely active and healthy, or at least i thought i was until the day i had my stroke coming completely out of the blue.

I was about to play golf, and suddenly felt like my arm and whole left side lock up, to cut long story short i ended up in intensive care, and in the local infirmary for a 5 week period, it was tough, as this was last May during the height of Covid, we had moved from the Midlands back up north, and our boys couldn’t visit me, but I am a very stubborn, strong willed and a positive person, so after been told i may potentially never walk again, I have worked hard and are now walking, and back to work.

I am now struggling mentally with the last 10% of recovery, finding i am getting very frustrated with myself and getting emotional often, which i didn’t do pre-stroke, apparently the area i had the bleed (left side) affects your emotions,

Any advice or sharing of a similar story would be a massive help i think.