New price cap

Just wondering how we will all cope with the new energy price cap. Having a stroke does mean being at home more then people who does not have this issue so what are people going to do this winter. Hope everyone is well with kind regards des

1 Like

Not much of a strategy, but, we have a small room and we have spent our winters together mostly in there. It is much cheaper to heat one room rather than the whole house. We also use warm clothing with blankets in addition sometimes. Central heating is great but not essential.

I could tell tales of my youth. Jack Frost was a common visitor, a coating of ice on the inside of windows. No carpets for insulation, just cold, cold linoleum. No double glazing. No central heating. A fire whose heat went straight up the chimney. Chilblains from sitting icy cold up close in front of a roaring fire. Shivering on the way to bed. Shivering getting out of bed. I won’t continue.

Christmas roughly marks out the half way point - autumn is behind, spring is ahead.

Are we really trying to avoid global warming? It isn’t as cold as it used to be, though, you know folks.

Take care :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi Des. I fixed my gas six weeks ago till next July, but at double my old payment. We plan to use oven as little as possible and use our Remoska more (sold by Lakeland). We currently switch lights on later and keep all other lights off as much as possible. We switch off sockets not in use, charge phones and iPad for shorter periods. Central heating will be turned down a degree or two and timed to come on a bit later and go off a bit earlier. Don’t know if this helps.

2 Likes

@Des_murphy I think we’re all trying to find ways to save money given the imminent hike in energy prices. We have oil central heating. Great you may think as not affected by price cap. It isn’t but it does change price with oil prices. Last year we bought 2500 litres for the same price as we’ve just paid for 1000 litres. The only benefit I guess is that once we have the oil it’s paid for so costing no extra to use. We already have our thermostat set to 13 degrees so no room to lower it. I am trying to educate hubby to switch things off when he’s not using them & that’s where I hope to save some money.
J did read something the other day that said using microwave instead of cooker saves money. I guess in tight financial times all these little savings really do help.

1 Like

Just had woodstove fitted in our new home, have had a stove for 40 years as living in wooded areas, By Gum us oldie’s suffered in our youth . Was talking to an old shepherd a few years back said to him you must remember wonderfull frost patterns on glass on bedroom windows “ what glass we never had glass just a hessian potato sack nailed over hole.

3 Likes

Every bill payer will get the £400 rebate (approx £66 each month from Oct to March). Also if you are on certain disability benefits eg. PIP there is an extra £150 payable, I dont know yet how that gets paid.

3 Likes