New post

Hi, I am new to this site so thought that I would Introduce myself.
I am 69 years old was fit and was shocked at having a stroke last December. The symptoms just appeared without any warning, could not move left leg or arm.
Was in hospital for a while and now recovering at home. Now middle of January still waiting for Ecg to be fitted and physio. I am out walking with a zimmer. Not sure how much I should be doing.
if I go to far my left leg feels like it is dragging.
Hope to get a full recovery.

1 Like

Hi Butcher. Welcome to our forum. Good that you are walking again but don’t overdo it until you get physio. Your left foot is probably dragging because you may have drop foot. I have the same problem. Ask your doctor about an FES machine. This is attached to the leg and sends an electric pulse through the calf that lifts the foot. I still use an ankle support. Hope support systems kick in soon for you. You will make lots of friends on this forum.

1 Like

Thank you. I have done too much today. Going to bed early. I think to let you out of hospital with no physio iscrazy

1 Like

Hello @Butcherd01, sorry to hear you had a stroke, and welcome to our forums. Take things easy, and use stepping stones for planning activities.

1 Like

Thank you it is difficult to know if you are doing the right thing or not.

2 Likes

@Butcherd01, it certainly is. What I have learned from my own physiotherapy, is controlled exercises are very useful, but they have to be repetitive, and over a long period of time. This can be disheartening for many who stop doing exercises because they aren’t seeing results, but patience is key, and sometimes results only show up in 1-2% increments. Neurones have a tendency to flash dimly whenever stimulated, and it’s a matter of encouraging them to remain lit. Wishing you all the best with things, keep a level check on anxiety, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

1 Like

Hi, I feel very low today. Have been trying to walk each day but may have over done it. I have still not heard from physio so have no guidelines from anyone.
Feel so tired. Is this normal?

Hello @Butcherd01, from my experience, fatigue is the universal common ground of all stroke and TIA survivors. Try not to push yourself too much, and key is resting before reaching severe fatigue level. Small exercise and often seems to be the routine. Even walking on the spot, and if you watch telly, pay attention to how other people walk. I had no physiotherapy support, and had to dig around for rehabilitation techniques that were suited to my condition. I had hypomotria (shuffling), and could not involuntarily take normal sized steps. It took a long time to correct this condition. My gait has returned to normal but I still tend to walk around like a gunslinger. Try not to put pressure on yourself at this stage, your brain is currently still actively using neurological-plasticity to do some of its own onsite repair without your assistance, this lasts for about six months and then the onus rests on you more. So, this is period where rest and rehabilitation becomes a balancing act. Be kind to your yourself and your brain. Partake in things that provide pleasure.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advise it is very kind of you.

2 Likes

Dear Butcher. Welcome to the forum. Progress is very slow but possible. Fatigue is common and you must be careful not to do too much. Listen to your body and rest when you need to. Best wishes Lilian

1 Like

Hi Lillian , thank you very much for your response. I am trying to do little things in the home. Just waiting for physio to tell me what I can do. I have some exercises from the Stoke association which I have been doing every other day. I will get there. Thank you Dolla x

1 Like

Thanks Rups, Great reply loved the analogy.

Hi Butcherd01,
Cant believe you have not had the first physio with you yet. Call the hospital and leave a message for your stroke doctor that treated you. Let him know the team has not turned up (supposed to be there from day 1.). Follow up with an email (you can get the correct email address from the doctors secretary group). Let the doctor know the early response team are not seeing you. You need to do this as a matter of urgency as it is vital that you get early treatment. If you then are not seen you can activate a complaint with the hospital who are responsible for your treatment at this stage. You need a post hospital doctor meeting as well to plan your treatment, make sure this is booked now as well. I got “forgotten” and its not ideal. hope this helps.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,
Thank you very much for the info. I am now having physio had 2 sessions so far. Just waiting for my egg to be fitted. I hopefully will get that soon. I a
have exercises now so know my limits.
Thank you for your help.
regards Dolla x

1 Like

Welcome, I am so pleased you are getting physio now. So important.
Have a lovely day

Thank you very much I have also got some excessive from the Internet where you sit on a chair. x

1 Like

Hi Butcherd01,
The physios also have loads of great exercises. Just ask for some printed that it would be good for you to do and they will bring for you. Core especially really helped me and you can get loads of chair ones. Just remember to not overdo it, the physios should judge how much and how often. I drove em nuts with questions :sunglasses:
Amanda

1 Like

Hi Amanda,
I know what you mean about physio and exercise. I have been shown what exercises to do for my balance. I have some core exercises as well. Getting up and down on the floor is getting easier. Will get there. xx

Hi Butcher,
Hope its going well and getting treated properly.
I realised I am not doing floor as when I had the stroke I couldn’t do it as I was too obese, 6 stone lighter and its time to do the floor, this will be fun :slight_smile:

Hi Amanda not too good today, very tired arm feels heavy and walking hard. I did exercises yesterday and may have overdone it. Keep thinking that I am normal!!! congratulations on loosing lots of weight. I need to do this as I am over weight. What was your diet please.? Having a day on the sofa today. Hope that you are well. Thanks for contacting me very kind. Dolla xxx