Hi I'm June and I had my stroke in December 2019 while visiting my daughter in America where my care was excellent I was flown home after 2 weeks and that was when the problems started. I was in the stroke  ward for 4 weeks with very little physio then I was sent to "rehab" for another 4 weeks. I was told on the Wednesday I was going home on the Thursday nobody came to see me fo 10 days .We were left to get on with it ,my husband bought a stool for the shower and handgrips and we just coped. From the beginning of June I have had a physio one day a week for an hour and an o/t from the end of July , he says I am 5 months behind in my rehab but not to look back look forward which I am doing. 

Hi June, 

That's the attitude. Don't be held back the past. It's gone and done. Doesn't mean you can't reflect just don't dwell there.

Keep up the good work 

Kay 

Dear june

Welcome to the forum.
It was very hard for us Stroke Survivors before covid, I do feel for you guys trying to cope with the virus decimating services.

Just keep on trying, things will improve.

Every stroke is different, so physio is varied. Keep everything moving.

best wishes

colin

hi, i'm Ann,  had stroke last saturday, affected right side , still coming to terms with it

Welcome Anne, your stroke is very recent and, understandably, you are in turmoil. Getting used to having had a stroke is hard for all of us. Stroke is, essentially, a brain injury, so cannot me mended like a broken bone or cured with antibiotics.

The brain though is a marvellous thing and can, and will, retire itself. With help, support, medication and determination on our part, we can improve. Every stroke is different and has different effects depending on which side of the body has been affected.

Please feel free to voice any concerns or just let off steam. We are all here for you.

Welcome Anne! Great you've joined in already - it took me a long time to find this forum ! Keep positive! Take care!

Clare  

Hello Ann and welcome, 

You are doing well to be on here so soon but you will find people very supportive.  It takes a little while to adjust to life after stroke and we are all different, but I wish you well in your recovery.

Joan

Hi Kay

Thank you for your support  For the last two weeks I have been speaking to a volunteer from the stroke Association, it was good to speak to someone who has been in the same position as I am now .Friends have been supportive but they don't really know how you feel. 
I have an amazing husband  who makes sure I do my exercises every day and encourages me all the time .

I think people forget about the carer it can be quite hard for them as well

June

Hi June, 

Glad to hear you have such great support.

Exercises are the key to success.

Have a good weekend. 

Kay

Hi Ann, I'm Jeanne.  I had my stroke 2 years ago.  I still remember the words a doctor (I can't remember his face) who leaned over me in my bed and said, " Oh, don't worry.  You'll get all that back.  But remember.  It's not a race.  It's a marathon."  Those words were a great help to me as recovery has been a daily process that doesn't happen over night.  But it does happen.  Sometimes it seems like you're not making any progress, but that's because it is very slow. Just hang in there with your rehab. Don't quit even when it gets hard, and give yourself possitive affirmations every day.  I tell myself, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."  IF you have worries or questions, just post them here.  Usually someone will respond with what they know or their own experience. You're not alone.  Best wishes and love, Jeanne

Hi Ann, I'm Jeanne.  I had my stroke 2 years ago.  I still remember the words a doctor (I can't remember his face) who leaned over me in my bed and said, " Oh, don't worry.  You'll get all that back.  But remember.  It's not a race.  It's a marathon."  Those words were a great help to me as recovery has been a daily process that doesn't happen over night.  But it does happen.  Sometimes it seems like you're not making any progress, but that's because it is very slow. Just hang in there with your rehab. Don't quit even when it gets hard, and give yourself possitive affirmations every day.  I tell myself, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."  IF you have worries or questions, just post them here.  Usually someone will respond with what they know or their own experience. You're not alone.  Best wishes and love, Jeanne

Well folks ,  Ann here,

I am getting used to what I  can and cannot do now.  feeling returning gradually, but still lacking in strength.

I have knitted a hoodie and cardigan for two of my great-grandchildren  and now knitting a wee aran for greatgrandson since was on last, not my usual perfect standard  but getting there. This was really bugging me, would I be able to knit again as this is my hobby and love of life forby my family  my speach now more or less back to normal!!  as hubby said tongue never stops.I cannot thank my Physios enough they have been brilliant, they stopped visits but phone weekly to check i am ok.  I am doing bits and pieces round house but have to check myself and not overstretch.as arm gets very sore and I tire easily. I can now print a wee letter, not got the joined up writing yet , I will eventually, I have been told I will be able to get my knee operation after check-up in 6 months time so maybe then I will be able to walk without aid  I would like to thank you for your encouraging comments, I am not the most patient of people , expect everything more or less right away, but as you say it takes time

Stay safe everyone. 

Hello Ann, we will all be putting in our oders for woolly hats and jumpers!!  Thank you for the update, very hard to be patient but there's no other way, the brain will heal in its own good time!!

Keep strong, xx