New life low

I thought stroke had given me my life’s low but I have topped it, had to make a hurried trip to the bathroom after stomach pain and wind sadly didn’t make it which left my poor wife helping me de clothes and clean me up i am so upset to put anyone through that nurse or wife or child, feel disgusted with myself obviously a short stomach upset hope it passes quickly lots of tears feeling disgusted with myself and my pitiful future.

Sorry to unburden on you all but it’s a new low for me.

3 Likes

I’m really sorry that you feel unwell, we all have these things happen. It’s horrible at the time but hopefully a good nights sleep and you will feel much better in the morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shwmae @mrfrederickson, I understand that the situation is loaded with post stroke feelings but when our bodily functions get the better of us, it can happen to anyone. I won’t write about my pre-stroke experience, needing a public toilet in Paris, after drinking about ten espressos throughout the day. Please don’t go too hard yourself, we are all human. :grinning:

2 Likes

Mr F. Please, please don’t let this get you down. Those who love us will do anything for us just as we, in our pre stroke bodies, would do anything for them. None of us can avoid other illnesses, but always hope we will never have ‘accidents’.

It is likely that it is just a passing stomach upset, but if problems persist call the doctor. It could your body reacting with medication or some other cause. We stroke survivors cannot escape negative feelings because they are triggered by our sense of inadequacy and not being the person we used to be. There are occasions when my partner has to help me up and down steps and I hate that feeling of being reliant on others.

Please don’t beat yourself up about this.

5 Likes

Thank you for your kind words it must be something I ateas I am now suffering full diarrhoea, have taken some pills to stop it and pray for no accident s today :pray::astonished:

2 Likes

sorry that you have been unwell. It’s horrid when we have to rely on others isn’t it. Hope you get better soon.

2 Likes

@mr fredrickson oh I know how u feel :pensive:happened to me back in April . I was so shocked at the mess I was in I stupidly didn’t call hubby and ended up falling in bathroom . I’m glad ur wife helped you we are lucky to have a partner best wishes hope you feel better take care

2 Likes

Feeling a bit more normal now had a shower and am sat up watching the Belgian GP qualifying coverage from yesterday, sad but peaceful

1 Like

@mrfrederickson , I’ll let you into a little secret that I wouldn’t normally have posted on here. I have soiled myself about 4 or 5 times since my stroke. My main problem is that I still have some numbness down my left side that includes my left bum cheek and left side of my sphincter.
They haven’t been huge accidents but still rather messy and embarrassing. Luckily I am able to clean up myself and get into the shower if it happens, however I am paranoid on the one day a week I go into the office. On those days I make multiple trips to the loo the try and go but also to double check all is well.

It is another horrible thing to deal with, but find a way to deal with it we must.

I could look on the bright side and say thank god I’m not fully and permanently incontinent.

I held off posting this when I first saw your post but I fully sympathise with your situation and thought I’d let you know you’re not alone.

Try to stay positive and I hope yours was a one off
Mark.

1 Like

Hi there. We have all had and are still having the occasional accidents. Remember we are the ones who survived. We are the lucky ones . Best wishes. Lilian

3 Likes

@mrfrederickson please don’t be so tough on yourself. Whilst it is very unpleasant it can happen to anyone. Hopefully it’s just a short term bug & you will be back to normal very soon. Take care xx

2 Likes

Hey mate. Relax, you aint the only 1. In the last 6 years, I have discovered , after stroke, that I get limited messages to the brain. Whereas an unaffected person can control themselves more. If I get the message now, I have approx 2 or 3 minutes to get to safety. This has resulted in maybe 4 or 5 ‘accidents’. Unfortunately, I have no one to assist in the clean up.
Another invisible symptom of stroke that no one comprehends, although its not invisible afterwards :wink:.
I have no solutions, just offering mutual support.

2 Likes

mrfrederickson-When you’re not 100%, these things happen. I agree, that medications will often cause this. My meds cause me to sometimes be constipated and at other times “runny”. Go figure. I’ve often had to change my underpants after a walk, and I didn’t even know there was something there. Don’t feel disgusted. It’s just life, just the body doing its thing. Order a bouquet of flowers for your wife and tell her how lovely she is for helping you and here’s hoping the flowers will bring some pleasant “smells” into the house. Inject a little humor into it. I bet your wife will feel better. I bet it bothers your wife more thinking you feel so bad than the actual cleanup. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart: :bouquet:Jeanne

1 Like

Thank you all for your sypathy and kind words, I am more stable now andfood not giving me a painful stomach if I get another night without incident I may have seen the worse of it.hope i get my bodyback before old age and incontinence takes over thanks Lillian I don’t feel lucky some days but Tod ay is a fresh new opportunity and I have. Challenges to meet and overcome.

2 Likes

My husband had irritable bowel syndrome amongst many other problems. After a heart transplant 20 years ago as a result of medication he took to stop heart rejection he had this problem. I cleared up mess regularly and he wore a nappy to go out. He passed away in February and I would cheerfully clear up after him if he was still alive. I have had one acute stroke plus a TIA and struggle with memory and balance. Don’t beat yourself up about this!

1 Like

All calm now an yes I thank God for my long suffering wife she is a brick

1 Like

All over the symptoms just waiting for normal bodily functions to resume

1 Like

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I was out for a walk last week. Felt\feel exactly as you . Humiliated., extremely upset.am now very wary about the whole situation.

I tend to leave the house like I did when the kids were babies, poo bags wipes and a change of under garments.i feel fo r you this stroke in cumbance can get one down